Age and Academic Careers: Impact of Age on PhD Graduates

In summary, it seems that the OP may be struggling to find a post-doc job because of their age and lack of publications. He should try to impress his advisor and interview well.
matt.harvard
I'm currently finishing my phd in astrophysics and ill be 28.5 yrs old when i do so. I'm now looking for a post-doc job and it seems to be difficult. I've attended top undergraduate and graduate schools but seem to have no offers or call-backs on my applications.I'm being told that younger phd graduates (with the same qualifications) are getting the jobs i want.

My question is, What is concidered the average age of someone getting their phd starting from high school (average age of 18)? Does age matter when trying to find a acedemic career, if so at what age does your chances diminish? Most graduates from the years 1900-1960 graduate at 24.5 but now that seems like an unlikely task unless you are gifted or have graduated high school earlier.

Any feedback is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Just putting this out there, but it might be how your resume is presented that may be the root to you problem.

I'm not really seeing where you're coming up with this. As you undoubtedly well know, it takes most people about 5-7 years to get their astrophysics PhD (generally 5-6 years at the better schools) after finishing undergrad at 21-23, so you're hardly unusual. Besides, do you think that professors are actually looking at graduation years and estimating how old their applicants are?

I'm with Bitter...it's your CV/research statement/publishing history/recommendations you should be looking at. You also undoubtedly know that the school you graduate from, while important, won't save you with a poor research record, or a good research record that's presented poorly.

Or, you may just have stiff competition. But new jobs are being offered all the time, even if we're getting to the end of the main season...

Actually, because of your spelling of "programme" in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1218605", I guess you're not in the US. So sure, it tends to take somewhat less time in most other places, but I've known several European and Asian postdocs in their late 20's and early 30's, so it doesn't seem to matter too much.

Though given that you said four months ago that you were looking for info on PhDs, I'm a little bemused as to how you're applying for postdocs now, but hey.

Last edited by a moderator:
your advisor should be able to answer this question much better than we can do.

try to: 1) do a good job on your thesis,

2) impress your advisor,

3) interview well,

4) have faith in yourself.

you will likely find a chance to prove yourself.

good luck.

Philbin said:
Though given that you said four months ago that you were looking for info on PhDs, I'm a little bemused as to how you're applying for postdocs now, but hey.

There is certainly something fishy going on here. Let's just say that there better be a very good explanation for this from the OP.

Zz.

You can buy PhD's for a few hundred bucks from some dodgy websites. But you would have little (if any) research experience. So probably wouldn't recommend it.

But instead of slamming matt.harvard, he should get the benefit of the doubt.

... says someone who 'probably wouldn't recommend' buying a PhD. <removed unnecessary comment>

Last edited:
silly me, i assumed he was getting a phd from harvard.

Let's just say that some people don't share a love of the ideal.

matt.harvard - how many publications do you have? I'd say that was more a distinguishing part of getting to the interview stage, not the schools you've attended.

verty said:
... says someone who 'probably wouldn't recommend' buying a PhD. <removed unnecessary comment>

I was taking the piss ...

I understand the confusion that is being presented but I just can't understand what one would gain from pretending to be completing a PhD, if they in fact weren't and then ask questions about post-doc. Especially since most of you guys have PhD's or are working towards one.

Matt, where you at homie? Provide some clarity to this distorted situation.

What is the average age of PhD graduates?

The average age of PhD graduates varies depending on the field of study and the country in which they earned their degree. However, according to a study by the National Science Foundation, the average age of PhD recipients in the United States is 33 years old.

Does age impact career opportunities for PhD graduates?

Yes, age can have an impact on the career opportunities available to PhD graduates. Older PhD graduates may face challenges in securing certain positions, such as tenure-track faculty positions, due to factors such as limited job openings and preference for younger candidates. However, age may also bring advantages such as more experience and a stronger professional network.

How does age affect the job market for PhD graduates?

The job market for PhD graduates can be impacted by age in various ways. Older PhD graduates may have more difficulty finding academic positions due to preferences for younger candidates, but they may have an advantage in industry positions due to their experience and skills. Additionally, age may also impact salary and promotion opportunities in both academic and non-academic careers.

Are there any benefits to pursuing a PhD at a later age?

Yes, there can be benefits to pursuing a PhD at a later age. Older PhD graduates may have more life experience and a better understanding of their research interests and goals. They may also have a stronger work ethic and time management skills, which can be beneficial during the demanding process of earning a PhD.

How can universities support older PhD graduates in their academic careers?

Universities can support older PhD graduates by providing resources and support specifically tailored to their needs. This can include mentorship programs, networking opportunities, and workshops on navigating the job market at a later age. Universities can also work towards creating a more inclusive and diverse environment for all PhD graduates, regardless of age.