PhD in Experimental QED: AMO vs Superconductivity?

In summary, when looking for a PhD in cavity QED and quantum information, the superconducting qubit approach seems to be more promising than the optical one. It is recommended to reach out to various research groups and consider funding options in order to determine which path is best suited for the individual's knowledge and experience.
|squeezed>
Hi all

I am looking for a phd in the field of cavity qed - quantum information (experimental). I have read some recent publications in the field from groups working with superconducting qubits and the superconductive approach seems to be more efficient/promising than the optical one. The problem is that i do not know which path i should follow. I am more familiar with AMO physics than Solid State - Superconductivity.

What would you recommend ?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
!The best advice I can give is to reach out to the various research groups working on this topic and get their opinion. This way, you can get a better sense of which approach is best for you based on your knowledge and experience. Additionally, you can also look into funding options that may be available for the research you are interested in, as this could help you decide which path you should take. Good luck!

As a scientist with expertise in experimental QED, I would recommend considering both paths and evaluating which one aligns more with your interests and strengths. While the superconducting approach may currently seem more efficient and promising, it is important to keep in mind that both fields are constantly evolving and there may be breakthroughs in one that could change the landscape. Additionally, it is always valuable to have a diverse skill set and knowledge base, so pursuing a PhD in a different field may provide you with new perspectives and opportunities. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your passion and goals in the field of quantum information. I would also suggest reaching out to experts in both fields and discussing their experiences and thoughts on the current state and future directions of each path. Good luck on your decision!

Related to PhD in Experimental QED: AMO vs Superconductivity?

1. What is the difference between experimental QED and superconductivity in a PhD program?

Experimental QED (Quantum Electrodynamics) is a branch of physics that studies the interaction between light and matter at the quantum level. Superconductivity, on the other hand, is a phenomenon in which certain materials exhibit zero electrical resistance and expel magnetic fields. In a PhD program, the focus of research in experimental QED will be on studying the fundamental properties of light and matter, while the research in superconductivity will be more applied, focusing on understanding and developing materials with superconducting properties.

2. What are the career prospects for graduates with a PhD in Experimental QED vs Superconductivity?

Graduates with a PhD in Experimental QED have a wide range of career prospects, including research positions in academia, national labs, and industry. They can also pursue careers in fields such as quantum computing, photonics, and materials science. Graduates with a PhD in Superconductivity can also find opportunities in academia, national labs, and industry, specifically in fields related to energy and power, medical imaging, and high-speed transportation.

3. What skills are necessary for pursuing a PhD in Experimental QED vs Superconductivity?

Both fields require a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer science. However, a PhD in Experimental QED may require a deeper understanding of quantum mechanics, while a PhD in Superconductivity may require knowledge of condensed matter physics and materials science. Additionally, both fields require strong experimental and analytical skills, as well as the ability to work independently and in a team setting.

4. What are some potential research topics in a PhD program in Experimental QED vs Superconductivity?

In a PhD program in Experimental QED, potential research topics could include studying the properties of photons and their interactions with matter, developing new experimental techniques for manipulating light and matter, or exploring the quantum behavior of materials. In a PhD program in Superconductivity, potential research topics could include investigating the mechanisms behind superconductivity, designing and synthesizing new superconducting materials, or studying the applications of superconductivity in different fields.

5. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in Experimental QED vs Superconductivity?

The length of time to complete a PhD in Experimental QED or Superconductivity can vary depending on the individual program and the student's progress. On average, a PhD program can take 4-6 years to complete, with some programs offering accelerated options. However, it is important to note that the timeline can also be affected by factors such as the chosen research topic, funding availability, and the student's own dedication and progress in their studies.