PhD in Semiconductor Nano Devices after undergrad in Computer Engineer

In summary,The professor says that it will require hard work but you can do it because a lot of people change their fields during grad studies. You should brush up on some basic physics before tackling the solid state and semiconductor stuff.
hasniali
I am getting an opportunity to do PhD in semiconductor devices. The professor is quite active in the field and publishing good research. I have no background in solid state physics. How difficult it could be with a computer science background? Also where should I start once enrolled in a graduate program; study material etc? Thanking you in anticipation.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be asking the professor these questions; he will be much more tuned into this specific program.

Prof says that it will require hardwork but you can do it because a lot of people change their fields during grad studies. I have been reading Semiconductor Device Fundamentals by Robert F. Pierret as recommended by prof but I can not understand a lot of stuff. I get lost in so many terminologies and equations that I am unable to grasp the basic concept or particular phenomena.

hasniali said:
Prof says that it will require hardwork but you can do it because a lot of people change their fields during grad studies. I have been reading Semiconductor Device Fundamentals by Robert F. Pierret as recommended by prof but I can not understand a lot of stuff. I get lost in so many terminologies and equations that I am unable to grasp the basic concept or particular phenomena.

I think you just answered the first question from your OP.

Your CS background taught you how to use these devices in a computational setting without going into the details of how they worked. Now, you're deep in the belly of the beast, for which your previous experience has left you unprepared. You might have to brush up on some more basic physics before tackling the solid state and semiconductor stuff.

SteamKing said:
I think you just answered the first question from your OP.

Your CS background taught you how to use these devices in a computational setting without going into the details of how they worked. Now, you're deep in the belly of the beast, for which your previous experience has left you unprepared. You might have to brush up on some more basic physics before tackling the solid state and semiconductor stuff.
By basic you mean general physics courses like PH101 & PH102? Kindly recommend a textbook or any other resource to start with and then finally deal with the Rebert F. Pierret book on Fundamentals of Semiconductor Devices.
Best Regards,

1. What is a PhD in Semiconductor Nano Devices?

A PhD in Semiconductor Nano Devices is a specialized research degree that focuses on the study and development of tiny electronic devices made out of semiconducting materials. These devices are used in a variety of industries, including computer engineering, telecommunications, and medical technology.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a PhD in Semiconductor Nano Devices after completing an undergraduate degree in Computer Engineering?

Completing a PhD in Semiconductor Nano Devices after an undergraduate degree in Computer Engineering can provide valuable skills and knowledge in both fields. It can also open up opportunities for advanced research and development positions in industries such as microelectronics, nanotechnology, and renewable energy.

3. What kind of coursework is involved in a PhD in Semiconductor Nano Devices program?

The coursework for a PhD in Semiconductor Nano Devices typically includes advanced topics in materials science, nanotechnology, and electronics. Some programs may also offer courses in specialized areas such as quantum computing, photonics, or microfluidics. In addition to coursework, students are also required to conduct independent research and complete a dissertation.

4. What are the career prospects for someone with a PhD in Semiconductor Nano Devices?

Individuals with a PhD in Semiconductor Nano Devices have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as microelectronics, telecommunications, and renewable energy. They can also pursue careers in research and development in academia, government agencies, or private companies.

5. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in Semiconductor Nano Devices?

The length of time to complete a PhD in Semiconductor Nano Devices varies, but on average it takes 4-5 years. This can depend on factors such as the student's research progress, the complexity of their project, and any teaching or other responsibilities they may have while in the program.