1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PhD in Semiconductor Nano Devices after undergrad in Computer Engineer

1. Sep 3, 2014 #1
    I am getting an opportunity to do PhD in semiconductor devices. The professor is quite active in the field and publishing good research. I have no background in solid state physics. How difficult it could be with a computer science background? Also where should I start once enrolled in a graduate program; study material etc? Thanking you in anticipation.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You should be asking the professor these questions; he will be much more tuned in to this specific program.

4. Sep 3, 2014 #3
    Prof says that it will require hardwork but you can do it because a lot of people change their fields during grad studies. I have been reading Semiconductor Device Fundamentals by Robert F. Pierret as recommended by prof but I can not understand a lot of stuff. I get lost in so many terminologies and equations that I am unable to grasp the basic concept or particular phenomena.

5. Sep 3, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you just answered the first question from your OP.

Your CS background taught you how to use these devices in a computational setting without going into the details of how they worked. Now, you're deep in the belly of the beast, for which your previous experience has left you unprepared. You might have to brush up on some more basic physics before tackling the solid state and semiconductor stuff.

6. Sep 5, 2014 #5
    By basic you mean general physics courses like PH101 & PH102? Kindly recommend a text book or any other resource to start with and then finally deal with the Rebert F. Pierret book on Fundamentals of Semiconductor Devices.
    Best Regards,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook