Phd or master's in electrical engineering?

In summary, a bachelors degree is worth more than a masters or PHD. However, getting real world experience is key in finding the right degree for you.
AlfredPyo
Which one is worth more?
I don't have much money, and I'm not the type of guy who will get a scholarship.
So I want to have a great start in my career. I also want to be financially stable.
So what degree should I pursue? Phd or master's?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You would have to start with a BS and then should go to a PhD.

Perhaps a few years of working with a BS, then deciding if you need a masters -- and then in what. You might find an MBA more useful.

From a pure economic standpoint - I agree with Russ - a technical bachelors degree, a few years of real experience, and meanwhile work on an MBA - very valuable. Also - many employers will help pay for the MBA as you work for them.

I agree to get real work experience first.

If you want to be financially stable, then staying away from 30 to 40 thousand dollars worth of debt would help. This dollar amount should be a HUGE part of your decision. If your employer is going to pay for this, then that's a different story.

Just a thought, but a P.E. can be even more valuable to some employers (need 4 years experience in field) and can be obtained for less than 1 thousand dollars. Take the F.E as soon as possible if you haven't already. Being a state licensed engineer is "big time" in many circles.

Dollar for dollar, a P.E. can pay big bucks compared to masters or PHD. But what I'm saying is just one man's opinion, not gospel by any means.

I have less than 20 thousand dollars total invested in my bachelors and PE. Talk about serious return on your money!

Like they say above, getting real world experience will help point you in the right direction.

I think it's also important to note that a bachelors degree by itself is also highly coveted. Don't ever say you have "just" a bachelors degree. I would guess there are 4 billion people on this planet who wish they "just" had a bachelors degree.

Last edited:

What is the difference between a Phd and master's in electrical engineering?

A Phd (Doctor of Philosophy) in electrical engineering is a research-based degree that requires students to conduct original research and write a dissertation. A master's degree in electrical engineering is a more coursework-based degree that typically prepares students for professional careers in the field.

What are the job prospects for a Phd or master's in electrical engineering?

Both a Phd and master's in electrical engineering can lead to a wide range of job opportunities, including positions in research and development, design, and management. However, a Phd may open up more opportunities for higher-level positions and research-focused roles.

How long does it take to complete a Phd or master's in electrical engineering?

The duration of a Phd or master's in electrical engineering can vary depending on the program and the student's individual progress. On average, a master's degree can take 1-2 years to complete, while a Phd can take 4-5 years.

What are the admission requirements for a Phd or master's in electrical engineering?

Admission requirements for both a Phd and master's in electrical engineering often include a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and GRE scores. Some programs may also require applicants to have relevant work experience.

Is it necessary to have a Phd in order to work in the field of electrical engineering?

No, a Phd is not necessary for many positions in the field of electrical engineering. A master's degree is often sufficient for entry-level and mid-level positions. However, a Phd may be required for certain research-oriented roles or for advancement to higher-level positions.