Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PhD Qualifying Exam Feedback

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1
    Hi my name is Matt. I'm preparing to take my PhD qualifying exam which consists of a 25 minute PowerPoint presentation with oral questioning to follow. If anyone has a few minutes and would like to take a look and offer comments or questions it can be viewed at:

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/mchabalk/ [Broken]

ANY input you have for me would be greatly appreciated! Be as picky and
    critical as you like!

Thank you for you help.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF, Matt. Very interesting subject matter, and well presented, IMO. I love the last slide :biggrin:

4. Oct 28, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure that's only a 25 minute presentation, though? There's a lot of meat there. Have you timed yourself giving it? Have you practiced in front of some buddies? Will the people be allowed to ask questions during the presentation, or only afterwards?

5. Oct 28, 2009 #4
    These slides sucked me in, this is an interesting topic. Looks you've got all the graphics down, all I can suggest is practice orally more, not that it's bad or anything, it's good. But with more practice, it will be more natural. And wish you good luck on the exams.

6. Oct 29, 2009 #5
    Thank you all for you comments (keep them coming!). This was from one of my initial practice sessions and thus one of the roughest. Opens me to a bit more criticism, but that's what I want.

Yes, big problem, it's almost 20 min. over. So I'm in the process of cutting it down. Any suggestions on what slides, content etc. can be cut, w/o comprmising the presentation?

No questions will be asked during presentation. Profs. will have 2.5 hr afterward to do so.

I'll be practicing almost daily for the next 2 weeks, so hopefully the flow will get more natural.

Thanks again.

Matt

7. Nov 2, 2009 #6
    I have my most recent practice session up now if you want to check it out and offer comments:

I give a little pre and post background commentary and the actual presentation. Was able to shave off about 10 more min. My friends tell me speaking style is much more relaxed.

Thanks again.

Matt

8. Nov 6, 2009 #7
    Latest version is up:

Matt

9. Mar 20, 2010 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook