Doing a PhD in the USA: Advice for the PF Community

• Admissions
  • Thread starter JD_PM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Usa
In summary, the individual has a degree in Biotech but has decided to pursue their interest in Physics by enrolling in a 3-year program consisting of a year of preparation and two years of Master's studies. They are considering pursuing a PhD in the United States and have been researching universities that require recommendation letters, oral exams, and GRE tests. They have questions about the difficulty of the GRE tests and how much time they should study for them, as well as the difficulty of obtaining a scholarship for a top university in America. They also inquire about any extra documentation or tests they may need to take as an immigrant. They mention that they are more passionate than a brilliant student and are considering lower-tier schools. They plan to take the TOE
JD_PM
Hi PF community!

Let me briefly expose you all my situation. I have a degree in Biotech but I've always been interested in Physics. Once I finished it I decided to start studying Physics and it has been the best decision I've ever taken in my life.

I am currently in a 3 year programme which is 1 year of preparation (fundamental bachelor courses) + 2 years of Master's.

I am still in the first year of the programme but I feel like I'd like to do a PhD afterwards. And I'd like to do it in The States (an option would be to do the Master's Theses + PhD).

I have been looking at different universities and all of them request for recommendation letters, taking oral exams, taking GREs...

I have several questions:

1) I see GRE are tests with a wide different range of topics. I see in Physics they ask on CM, Electrodynamics, QM and so on. What's the difficulty of GRE tests and how much time should I study before taking them? (I know the time depends on the person but let's say I have an average knowledge on every topic).

2) How difficult is to get a scholarship for studying in a top university in America? Setting aside good marks, is there anything else I can do to boost my chances to get one?

3) As an immigrant, do I need to present any extra documentation or take any extra test (in English, for instance)?

I feel like I could do something else apart from getting good marks to improve my chances.

My profile is more of a passionate guy rather than a brilliant student.

I'd like to say that the idea of moving to America is a desire not an objective (I do not want to get obsessed with the idea of getting into a big place), but I feel I have to give it a shot.

I know it is may be too soon to be talking about a PhD in my situation but I think is good to plan this with time ahead.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you seen the thread near the top of this forum, titled something like "So you want to be a physicist - 22 part guide"? The descriptions and advice are geared towards US graduate schools.
JD_PM said:
How difficult is to get a scholarship for studying in a top university in America?
Generally, if you're admitted into a PhD program, you will receive financial aid of some kind: a teaching assistantship in which you teach introductory labs or recitation sections; a research assistantship in which you get paid for helping with a group's research (normally the group with which you do your PhD research); or a fellowship which has no work obligation except to make good progress in your coursework and research (these are normally for only the very best students).
JD_PM said:
My profile is more of a passionate guy rather than a brilliant student.
In that case you probably want to aim for lower-tier schools than the "top universities" (e.g. MIT, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Chicago, Caltech, Stanford). :oldwink:
JD_PM said:
take any extra test (in English, for instance)?
Most schools will probably require you to take the Test of English as a Foreign Langauge (TOEFL). Google it.
JD_PM said:
What's the difficulty of GRE tests and how much time should I study before taking them?
In the US, students take the GRE during the summer after the third year of a 4-year undergraduate program, or during the fall of the fourth year. Questions are at a level that should have been reached in courses up to that point. You can find a summary and a practice book at the https://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about/content/physics.

Likes JD_PM

What are the benefits of pursuing a PhD in the USA?

The USA is home to some of the top universities in the world, providing access to cutting-edge research opportunities and resources. Additionally, a PhD from a US institution can open up a wide range of career opportunities both within and outside of academia.

What is the typical timeline for completing a PhD in the USA?

The average time to complete a PhD in the USA is 5-6 years, although this can vary depending on the field of study and individual circumstances. It typically involves 2-3 years of coursework and 2-3 years of research and dissertation writing.

What is the funding situation for PhD programs in the USA?

Many universities in the USA offer funding for PhD students in the form of fellowships, teaching or research assistantships, or grants. It is important to research and apply for funding opportunities early on in the application process.

What are some tips for international students considering a PhD in the USA?

International students should carefully research the requirements and application process for their desired PhD programs, as well as any visa requirements. It is also important to consider the cost of living and potential cultural adjustments. Building a strong network and seeking support from other international students can also be helpful.

What are the key factors to consider when choosing a PhD program in the USA?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a PhD program in the USA include the research opportunities and resources available, the faculty and their areas of expertise, the program's reputation and rankings, and the location and cost of living. It is also important to consider the program's fit with your research interests and career goals.