How Do You Calculate the Density and Submerged Weight of a Metal Object?

• Thread starter RMHAZARD
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the density and weight of a metal object submerged in water using Archemede's principle and the formula for buoyant force. The concept of "weight under water" is clarified to refer to the force of gravity minus the buoyant force. The importance of understanding density is emphasized, and the formula for calculating it is given. The conversation also discusses the availability of a textbook as a resource for further understanding.
RMHAZARD
hi where would i start if i wantied to do this could you please tell me the formulas i need or how i should aproch it

A metal object has a mass of 135 g and is submerged in water. it displace 50 cm^3 of water. Calculate the density of the metal and weight of the metal under the water.answer must be in si units

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with Archemede's principle and the formula for the buoyant force.

And when they say "calculate the weight under water," the question is vague: "weight" could mean "the force due to gravity," which will still be the same, or "weight" could mean "apparant weight" which would be the force due to gravity minus the buoyant force.

and they would be?

i am conpletly lost

do you know archimede's principle? It states that the weight of the fluid displaced is the buoyant force felt by the object.

For the first part- you do know what density means, do you not?

For the second part- how much water is displaced?(The density of water is [itex]1g/cm^3[/itex]

the density is the heviyness of an object and as for the second part is it 125000 the answer as 135 grams times 50 ^3 am i right

Do you have a textbook? Are you allowed to read it?

1. What is density and how is it calculated?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume. It is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume. The unit for density is typically expressed in grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) for solids and liquids, and grams per liter (g/L) for gases.

2. How does density affect the behavior of objects?

Density plays a significant role in determining the behavior of objects. Objects with a higher density will sink in fluids with a lower density, while objects with a lower density will float. Density also affects the speed at which an object falls through a fluid, with higher density objects falling faster than lower density objects.

3. How can density be used to identify materials?

Density is a characteristic property of materials, meaning that it is unique to each substance. By measuring the density of a material, it can be compared to known values for different substances to help identify the material. This is especially useful in forensics and materials science.

4. What factors affect the density of a material?

The density of a material can be affected by several factors, such as temperature, pressure, and the arrangement of molecules or particles within the material. For example, increasing the temperature of a substance can cause it to expand and therefore decrease in density.

5. How is density used in real-world applications?

Density is used in numerous real-world applications, such as in construction, engineering, and transportation. It is also used in industries such as oil and gas, where the density of fluids is important for drilling and extraction processes. In medicine, density is used to identify and diagnose medical conditions, such as bone density scans used to detect osteoporosis.