Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phoenix Lands Today!

1. May 25, 2008 #1
    Here's the original thread in the General Astronomy section... https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=236811

NASA TV will also be broadcasting the coverage from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. In the mean time they're having astronauts show what life is like of the ISS... neat personal perspective... http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Here's two informative Youtube videos detailing the mission...

I'm hoping that there won't be much hydrazine contamination form the thrusters. Dig deep!
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2008 #2
    A lot of my friends at UA are involved with it and they've got their fingers crossed!
  4. May 25, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Cheers for the NASA link; I'll be sure to watch!
  5. May 25, 2008 #4
    T-9 minutes!
  6. May 25, 2008 #5
    And she's landed! :biggrin:
  7. May 25, 2008 #6

Gold Member

I've got a young friend at UA in the astronomy program, and I've yet to get feedback from him. His mom was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, so he's got a lot more to worry about than this project, but he is a fire-ball.
  8. May 25, 2008 #7

Even though i'm not involved, after following the program for so long, ... I shed a little tear.:approve:
  9. May 25, 2008 #8
    If anyone has any connections (moose, Turbo-1), when you speak with your friends, see if you can find out how far off the lander is from the projected ground zero. I know it's well within, just wondering exactly how off it is.

*edit* Nevermind, Odyssey hasn't even flown over yet. They'll probably announce it with the post-landing conference anyway.
    Last edited: May 25, 2008
  10. May 25, 2008 #9

Gold Member

Yep! Odyssey will clue us in pretty soon, and we should get a check-up on the lander's status, then the UA team will begin directing the data-gathering for the science end of the mission. Being at a polar latitude, the lander won't be able to survive like the rovers due to the lack of solar flux. We have a relatively narrow window for science.
  11. May 25, 2008 #10
    True. I'm hoping we'll be able to actually snap a picture of a dust devil if it comes fairly close... hopefully not too close though, considering what i've been reading about their possible static electrical factor.
  12. May 25, 2008 #11
  13. May 25, 2008 #12
  14. May 25, 2008 #13
    I'm watching the show on the Science Channel now.
  15. May 26, 2008 #14

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So who else has a new wallpaper?
  16. May 26, 2008 #15
    Last edited: May 26, 2008
  17. May 26, 2008 #16

Well, even if Jupiter and Saturn are gaseous, there are certain features that have been around for a while and that can be marked.
  18. May 26, 2008 #17
    True, I just find it a bit odd that they would develop maps for planets where the only notable features are eddies... which are constantly moving and changing positions. The bands pretty much do stay put though. I would have expected maps for Mercury or Venus at least.
  19. May 26, 2008 #18
    Well done NASA
    very well done.

Now I hope that some definitive evidence of life will be found

Just to mess up the religions :)
  20. May 26, 2008 #19
  21. May 26, 2008 #20
    It seems the 'footprints' are more likely to be a side effect of the thruster blast as the landers foot pads don't have that kind of shape. Here's a high res picture for comparison...

Even though the media seems to be overly concerned with the why the lander is off from it's mark, I still think it's incredible that it's as close as it is. I actually think it's amazing that this is the only aspect that didn't follow with 100% accuracy... comparing it to previous lander missions.

Some questions on my mind...
    When the batteries are fully drained due to lack of sunlight and the heaters then subsequently fail, what equipment will potentially be damaged?

Once the batteries are completely drained, would it be possible for them to be recharged?

When the sunlight returns again, could the solar panels recharge the batteries, or is a slight power source required for the charging process? Could the panels even put out this kind of power? (Thinking along the lines of attempting to start an automobile with just a 9V battery.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?