Photoelectric effect and maximum kinetic energy

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment to measure the maximum kinetic energy of electrons released due to the photoelectric effect on a metal target. The equation KE = hf - W is used, with known variables being frequency, Planck's constant, and the mass of the particle. The question of whether to assume the velocity of the particle is also addressed. The conversation concludes with a clarification on how to calculate the work function in this experiment.
doc.madani
Hey guys, assume that i performed and experiment to measure the maximum kinetic energy of electrons released due to the photoelectric effect due to light falling on a metal target (i.e. Sodium).

KE = hf - W (where W = work function, f = frequency and h = Planck constant)

since KE = 1/2 mv^2

i need to find the work function of this metal due to the photoelectric effect, do i assume the the velocity of the electron (or photon confused :S) is traveling at 3x10^8 (c) ??

p.s. i have all other known variables excluding W

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Er.. why do you even need to make any assumption about the velocity? You have KE, and presumably, you can determine the photon energy. What's left is simply plug and chug into the photoelectric effect equation to get the work function!

Or am I missing something here?

{scratching head}

Zz.

Oh very sorry i was not given the kinetic energy, however i knew the mass of the particle.
can't remember whether it was a photon or electron. In terms of calculating the work function for this particular experiment, is it the absorbed photons we need to consider in determining the work function?

very sorry for this silly question

So what exactly is this "experiment"?

You said that the experiment is to measure the max. KE. In most experiment, this is measured "directly", i.e. independent of the values of the work function, etc. In a standard photoelectric effect experiment, the max. KE is related to the stopping potential. So you get the value of the max. KE directly. This gives you ALL you need to find the work function of the metal.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
So what exactly is this "experiment"?

You said that the experiment is to measure the max. KE. In most experiment, this is measured "directly", i.e. independent of the values of the work function, etc. In a standard photoelectric effect experiment, the max. KE is related to the stopping potential. So you get the value of the max. KE directly. This gives you ALL you need to find the work function of the metal.

Zz.

so then just say the stopping potential was 1.6 volts, how would you go on calculating W.

This is a description of a typical Photoelectric effect experiment in an undergraduate physics lab. Read it.

http://mypages.iit.edu/~segre/phys223/08F/lab10_223.pdf

BTW, this better not be part of a school-type work, because you should know better by now where such a question should go into.

Zz.

thank you very much for that link explained a lot, and no its not school-type work, its simply personal leisure.

What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to electromagnetic radiation, such as light. This effect was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and was later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

What is the maximum kinetic energy in the photoelectric effect?

The maximum kinetic energy in the photoelectric effect is the energy that an electron can gain when it is emitted from a material due to the absorption of a photon. This energy is dependent on the frequency of the incident light and the work function of the material.

How does the photoelectric effect support the particle nature of light?

The photoelectric effect supports the particle nature of light because it shows that light can behave as discrete packets of energy, known as photons, rather than a continuous wave. The energy of the emitted electrons is directly proportional to the frequency of the incident light, which is a characteristic of particles.

What is the work function in the photoelectric effect?

The work function in the photoelectric effect is the minimum amount of energy needed to remove an electron from a material. It is a characteristic of the material and is dependent on factors such as the type of material and its surface properties.

What is the threshold frequency in the photoelectric effect?

The threshold frequency in the photoelectric effect is the minimum frequency of incident light that is required to cause the emission of electrons from a material. Below this frequency, no electrons will be emitted regardless of the intensity of the light.