What are the angles of photoelectron emissions from a metal surface?

In summary, the conversation discusses the emission of photoelectrons from a metal surface and the angle at which they are emitted. The speaker suggests that the emission is not at a precise angle, but rather a matter of statistical probability. Another speaker brings up the concept of angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy, which measures the angular spread of the emitted photoelectrons.
i_island0
hey.. can some one tell me... when photo electrons come out of the metal surface... then are those emissions normal to the surface or they come out at any angle from the surface.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't they come out at any angle? I'm not suggesting I'm correct by the way but from what I know of electrons and quantum mechanics, the emission of photons (or indeed electrons) would be a matter of statistical probability and thus position of emission and direction would not be known. Just a guess, but I can't see how they'd be emitted at precisely the same angle? Probably completely wrong but there you go. If nothing else I'll learn why I am wrong. :smile:

Last edited:
i_island0 said:
hey.. can some one tell me... when photo electrons come out of the metal surface... then are those emissions normal to the surface or they come out at any angle from the surface.

There is a spread in the angle.

However, in the standard photoelectric effect, you apply a potential to collect all of the photoelectrons, so this spread isn't a factor. In an angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy experiment, though, this angular spread is one of the things that is being measured.

Zz.

Last edited:

What is the photoelectric effect angle?

The photoelectric effect angle refers to the angle at which a photon strikes a metal surface, causing the emission of electrons. It is measured with respect to the surface normal of the metal.

How does the angle of incidence affect the photoelectric effect?

The angle of incidence has a significant impact on the photoelectric effect. As the angle increases, the number of emitted electrons decreases due to a decrease in the effective cross-sectional area of the metal surface exposed to the incident photon.

What is the critical angle in the photoelectric effect?

The critical angle in the photoelectric effect refers to the angle at which the energy of the incident photon is just enough to overcome the work function of the metal and cause the emission of electrons. Beyond this angle, no electrons are emitted.

How does the material of the metal affect the photoelectric effect angle?

The material of the metal has a significant impact on the photoelectric effect angle. Metals with lower work functions require less energy from the incident photon, resulting in a larger range of angles at which electrons can be emitted. On the other hand, metals with higher work functions have a smaller range of angles for electron emission.

What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and the kinetic energy of the emitted electrons in the photoelectric effect?

The angle of incidence and the kinetic energy of the emitted electrons are directly proportional in the photoelectric effect. As the angle of incidence increases, the kinetic energy of the emitted electrons decreases, since a smaller area of the metal surface is exposed to the incident photon.