Photoelectric effect with n photons

In summary, the photoelectric effect involves the ejection of electrons from a material when a beam of light shines on it, as long as the photons have enough energy to overcome the work function. While it is possible for multiple photons to hit an electron at once, the rate of this occurring is low with conventional light sources and was not detectable in the past due to slower electronics. However, with modern technology, scientists have been able to observe this multiphoton emission, which can be enhanced with entangled photons. Studies have been conducted using both biphotons and high intensity light sources, showing that the two-photon effect can occur without entanglement and with increased efficiency compared to coherent light.
Dr_Scientist
So in photoelectric effect, electrons can be ejected from a material when a beam of light shines upon the material, provided that the incident photons have enough energy to overcome the work function, i.e. hbar*omega has to be greater than W.

Now, why can't I have n photons simultaneously hitting on the same electron, therefore giving me energy n*hbar*omega, so that I can virtually knock electrons out from any material with a beam of light of any energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr_Scientist said:
So in photoelectric effect, electrons can be ejected from a material when a beam of light shines upon the material, provided that the incident photons have enough energy to overcome the work function, i.e. hbar*omega has to be greater than W.

Now, why can't I have n photons simultaneously hitting on the same electron, therefore giving me energy n*hbar*omega, so that I can virtually knock electrons out from any material with a beam of light of any energy?
The photoelectric effect can occur with more than one photon hitting at once. The rate of this occurring is proportional to the n1 power of the photon density. However, the rate of multiphoton electron emission is extremely low at the photon densities achievable with lamps or cw lasers. The rate of mutliphoton emission is greater with coherent sources (lasers) then with incoherent sources (lamps) of light.
The nineteenth century physicists examined the photoelectric effect using conventional lamps. The intensity of the light was low. Their electronics were much slower than the advanced electronics that we have today. Because their electronics were so slow, they had to decrease the intensity of their light sources to distinguish between single photon electron emissions. So the photon density of their light sources was extremely low. The rate of single photon electron emission was much larger than the rate of multiphoton electron emission. The “dead-time” problem was big. There was no way a nineteenth century physicist could have detected multiphoton electron emission.
Today, we have high intensity light sources and very fast electronics. So we can detect some multiphoton electron emission. The single photon electron emission is an unwanted background when one want to study two photon electron emission.
Two photon electron emission is enhanced if the two photons are entangled. This is called the two photon effect. Again, physicists of the nineteenth century could not make entangled pairs of photons. So they couldn’t have seen this biphoton enhancement.
Scientists have studied two photon electron emission. I want to contrast a two photon effect without entanglement with a two photon effect without entanglement. Here are two links.

This study does not use biphotons.
http://iopscience.iop.org/1367-2630/9/10/368/
“We report on the observation of two-photon electron emission from silver nanoparticles suspended in nitrogen flow resulting from irradiating them with continuous wave and pulsed laser light with photon energies below the threshold of the single-photon photoelectric effect. The photoelectron yield is quadratic in the light intensity, and the two-photon electron emission threshold is evident.”

The following experiment did not use a high intensity source. They used biphotons.
http://www.maik.ru/full/lasphys/03/12/lasphys12_03p1546full.pdf
“Experimental Observation of the Two-Photon Photoelectric Effect in Faint Biphoton Light
For the first time, the two-photon photoelectric effect in a faint biphoton field was observed experimentally; increased efficiency of the biphoton light as compared to the same intensity of coherent light in the two-photon process was proven.”

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the photoelectric effect with n photons?

The photoelectric effect with n photons refers to the phenomenon where a material, typically a metal, emits electrons when exposed to light with a specific frequency or energy level. The "n" stands for the number of photons, which determines the amount of energy needed to produce the photoelectric effect.

2. How does the photoelectric effect with n photons work?

When a photon with enough energy strikes a metal surface, it can transfer its energy to an electron in the metal, causing it to be ejected from the surface. This process is known as the photoelectric effect. The number of photons, or "n," determines the energy needed to overcome the binding energy of the electron in the metal.

3. What is the relationship between the number of photons and the energy of light in the photoelectric effect?

The number of photons, or "n," is directly proportional to the energy of light in the photoelectric effect. This means that the more photons that strike a metal surface, the higher the energy of light needed to produce the photoelectric effect.

4. How was the photoelectric effect with n photons discovered?

The photoelectric effect with n photons was first discovered by German physicist Heinrich Hertz in 1887. He observed that when ultraviolet light was shone on a metal surface, it emitted electrons. This discovery laid the foundation for Albert Einstein's explanation of the photoelectric effect, for which he received the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1921.

5. What are some practical applications of the photoelectric effect with n photons?

The photoelectric effect with n photons has many practical applications, including solar panels, photodiodes, and photocells. It is also used in various technologies, such as photocopiers, barcode scanners, and digital cameras. Understanding the photoelectric effect has also led to advancements in quantum mechanics and the development of new technologies like quantum computing.