How Does the Photoelectric Effect Determine Electron Speed?

The electron's speed can be calculated using the formula v = √(2KE/m), where v is the speed, KE is the kinetic energy, and m is the mass. In summary, when a light of wavelength 410nm is incident on a metal target, an electron is ejected from the surface and travels straight to a collection plate. The work required to remove this electron from the metal is 3.0 x 10^-19 J and the potential difference between the collector and emitter is .5V. Using the formula KEmax = hf - W0, we can calculate the maximum kinetic energy of the electron to be 1.848 x 10^-19 J. By using the formula v = √(2
sadakaa
1. Light of a wavelength 410nm is incident on a metal target and an electron is eject from the surface. The work required to remove this electron from the metal is 3.0 x 10^-19 J. The elctron then travels straight to a collection plate. The different in electric potential between the collector and emitter (target) is .5V (the emitter is at higher potential).

What is the speed of the electron the instant before it strikes the collector

I found that using KEmax = hf - W0, KEmax = 1.848 x 10^-19 J

2. d KE = -|qe Vthreshold |= -|(-1.6x10^-19C)(.5V)|= -8.0 x 10^-20 J

3. v = ROOT (2KE/m) = 419313.94 m/s

i'm not sure if i should be using this formula, nor am I sure how I could apply the kinematics forumlas. Let me know

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums,

Assuming you have done the arithmetic correctly, your answer should be good. It looks to be the right order of magnitude to me :approve:

the mathematics are correct, I'm just not sure if I'm using the correct forumlas

You're working with the correct formula.

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency or higher. This was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and was later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905 through his quantum theory of light.

2. What is the significance of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect provided evidence for the particle nature of light and contributed to the development of quantum mechanics. It also has practical applications in technologies such as solar panels and photodiodes.

3. How does the photoelectric effect work?

When a photon of light hits a material, it transfers its energy to an electron, allowing the electron to escape from the material's surface. The minimum energy required for this to happen is called the work function, which varies for different materials. The number of electrons emitted depends on the intensity of the light, while the kinetic energy of the electrons depends on the frequency of the light.

4. What is the difference between the photoelectric effect and the photovoltaic effect?

The photoelectric effect involves the emission of electrons from a material, while the photovoltaic effect involves the generation of an electric current when a material is exposed to light. The photoelectric effect is a one-time process, while the photovoltaic effect can be continuous as long as there is light.

5. Can the photoelectric effect be observed with all types of light?

No, the photoelectric effect can only be observed with light of a certain frequency or higher, known as the threshold frequency. Light with a lower frequency will not have enough energy to cause the emission of electrons, regardless of its intensity.