Will a Photon Launched Perpendicular to a Point Source Mass Ever Return?

• Thread starter bassplayer142
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Photon
In summary: Perpendicular to a point source is perpendicular to the surface of the point source. I see what you mean now. But when I say perpendicular to a point source I mean launched away from the surface of...a point source.Perpendicular to a point source is perpendicular to the surface of the point source.
bassplayer142
I know minimal information on the theory behind GR. I know that light is bent from mass. Say a photon is launched perpendicular to a point source mass in a closed system. Does this photon ever come back? If it were at a slight angle would it eventually come back but in a long long time and distance? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
bassplayer142 said:
I know minimal information on the theory behind GR. I know that light is bent from mass. Say a photon is launched perpendicular to a point source mass in a closed system. Does this photon ever come back? If it were at a slight angle would it eventually come back but in a long long time and distance? Thanks

See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=231127".

Last edited by a moderator:
bassplayer142 said:
A photon could be deflected back toward the observer, but it would require a black hole-sized mass, and the photon would loop around in a very tight loop. No, you would not get a long-period "orbit" like what you're describing.

So your saying that it is impossible for a photon to be fired in any direction to escape a point source mass?

bassplayer142 said:
So your saying that it is impossible for a photon to be fired in any direction to escape a point source mass?
What? How did you conclude that?

Quite the contrary, you'd have to be very careful to get it to loop around, let alone orbit the mass. Read the thread George posted for how to do that.

Photons traveling near a large mass will follow a geodesic, which will be genrally like a hyperbola - it'll bend but then continue on straight.

Ok I understand now. Would it be safe to say that there is photons that being on the edge of the universe will never come back to collide with any mass?

First, is it safe to talk about "the edge of the universe"?

Notice that edge of the universe is itself is made into a link. If you click on it you will find that there is no "edge of the universe".

bassplayer142 said:
Ok I understand now. Would it be safe to say that there is photons that being on the edge of the universe will never come back to collide with any mass?

Did you read the link to the edge of the universe brought up?

There are closed universe models in which it is possible to send light out and have the light return the same place in space (same comoving spatial coordinates) and open universe models in which light sent out will never return.

bassplayer142 said:
According to classical (i.e. non-quantum) general relativity, if a photon is radially launched at a distance exceeding [itex]2Gm/c^2[/itex] from a large symmetric non-rotating mass [itex]m[/itex] it will escape, otherwise it will not.

I say "large mass" because the formula above considers only the effect of the mass on the photon and not the effect of the photon on the mass. Also, if the mass is small (say an electron), then the distance above will be extremely tiny, so we can't ignore quantum theory. In quantum theory neither the mass nor the photon can be point sources -- they each must occupy some volume in some sense. And we don't have a theory that combines quantum theory and general relativity.

P.S. George's answer refers to photons launched in the other direction, i.e. tangentially.

DrGreg said:
P.S. George's answer refers to photons launched in the other direction, i.e. tangentially.

I wasn't quite sure what bassplayer142 meant in his original post, but I interpreted
bassplayer142 said:
Say a photon is launched perpendicular to a point source mass

to mean (spatially) perpendicular (according to hovering observer) to a radial vector.

George Jones said:
I wasn't quite sure what bassplayer142 meant in his original post, but I interpreted

to mean (spatially) perpendicular (according to hovering observer) to a radial vector.
"perpendicular to a point source" is meaningless, so I interpreted it the other way! :smile:

DrGreg said:
"perpendicular to a point source" is meaningless, so I interpreted it the other way! :smile:

I see what you mean now. But when I say perpendicular to a point source I mean launched away from the surface of the point perpendicularly. Which in itself may not make much sense :). My question has been answered. Thanks

Came back to this after more thought... If the photon was shot out "radially" then gravity would not affect the photon. When I say this I mean that a photon is falling towards a mass at acceleration g. But this g can't exist if the photon is heading straight out because the photon will only go the speed of light. What happens to the acceleration due to gravity?

bassplayer142 said:
Came back to this after more thought... If the photon was shot out "radially" then gravity would not affect the photon. When I say this I mean that a photon is falling towards a mass at acceleration g. But this g can't exist if the photon is heading straight out because the photon will only go the speed of light. What happens to the acceleration due to gravity?

If a baseball is fired straight up, its speed decreases. If light is fired straight up, its (local) speed doesn't change, but its wavelength increases.

That sounds exactly what I was looking for. Is there an equation that states this in general terms? thanks

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle that makes up electromagnetic radiation, such as light. It has no mass and travels at the speed of light.

2. How does a photon differ from other particles?

A photon differs from other particles in that it has no mass and does not experience time. It also does not have a charge, unlike other particles such as protons and electrons.

3. Can photons have mass?

No, photons cannot have mass. They are considered massless particles and their energy is solely determined by their frequency or wavelength.

4. What is the relationship between photon energy and mass?

According to Einstein's famous equation E=mc², energy (E) and mass (m) are equivalent and can convert into each other. This means that a photon, despite having no mass, still has energy due to its high frequency or short wavelength.

5. How are photons related to the concept of light?

Photons are the building blocks of light. When charged particles, such as electrons, accelerate, they emit photons. These photons then travel in waves, creating the electromagnetic radiation that we perceive as light.