Photon counts, finding background

• Thread starter indie452
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photon
In summary, the conversation discusses the task of estimating the significance of any possible eclipse in a set of data containing raw photon counts. The speaker mentions that the xray source may show eclipses lasting approximately 1000 seconds based on its optical properties and asks for guidance on how to find the background level in the data. The other person suggests extracting the photon counts from a region without any source or considering a certain statistics to determine the variance, although they are unsure of this approach.
indie452

Homework Statement

I have been given some data, which is 20 successive 500second bins containing raw photon counts.(ie signal+data)
The xray source is known to show flaring and from optical properties one suspects that it may show eclipses lasting ~1000sec.

I need to estimate the significance of any possible eclipse in the data.
BUT first i need to find the background level in the raw counts data.
How do i get started on this?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, the background level is estimated from an extraction of the photon counts in a region that doe not contain the source (any source)...
As an alternative (maybe) you can consider a certain statistics, and then value the variance, but I am not sure of this.

1. What is a photon count?

A photon count refers to the number of photons, or particles of light, that are detected by a detector in a given period of time. It is used to measure the intensity or brightness of a light source.

2. How do you calculate the background in a photon count measurement?

The background in a photon count measurement is calculated by taking the average of multiple measurements taken when no light source is present. This value represents the noise or interference in the measurement and is subtracted from the total photon count to get the accurate measurement of the light source.

3. Why is it important to find the background in photon counts?

Finding the background in photon counts is important because it helps to eliminate any external factors that may interfere with the measurement. By subtracting the background from the total photon count, a more accurate measurement of the light source can be obtained.

4. What factors can affect the background in a photon count measurement?

Some factors that can affect the background in a photon count measurement include ambient light, thermal noise, electronic noise, and cosmic rays. These external factors can introduce interference and affect the accuracy of the measurement.

5. How can the accuracy of background subtraction in photon counts be improved?

The accuracy of background subtraction in photon counts can be improved by taking multiple background measurements and averaging them, using a longer integration time for the measurement, and minimizing external factors such as ambient light and electronic noise. Using a more sensitive detector can also improve the accuracy of the measurement.