Path of Photon in Free Falling Lift: General Theory of Relativity Q&A

In summary: The light will still travel a curved path because it is following the shortest path between the observer and the light source.
CassiopeiaA
I just started reading general theory of relativity. I have some elementary questions. Not an english speaker so bear with me.

I am reading the thought experiment which describes path of a photon in a free falling lift. For an observer inside the lift, the photon path is a straight line. But for an observer standing on earth, the photon will travel a curved path, which is the shortest path taken by it to maintain a constant distance from the floor of the lift. My question is how does this relate to the bending of spacetime near earth? Will the photon still travel a curved path if there is no lift and only an observer on earth? How does the frame of reference of the lift effect the path of photon as seen by an observer on earth? Please help me if I am missing a point here.

Physics news on Phys.org
CassiopeiaA said:
Will the photon still travel a curved path if there is no lift and only an observer on earth?
Yes

CassiopeiaA said:
How does the frame of reference of the lift effect the path of photon as seen by an observer on earth? Please help me if I am missing a point here.
The point is that the path must be straight in the free falling frame (see Equivalence Principle), so it must curve in the ground frame.

First of all, you (or the textbook author) really should not be talking about photons in the GR setting unless you are ready to do quantum field theory in a curved space-time. Whenever they write photon, substitute "light pulse".

CassiopeiaA said:
How does the frame of reference of the lift effect the path of photon as seen by an observer on earth?
A frame of reference can never have any effect on a physical process. They might describe physical processes differently but the process itself is the same. In this case, it is the path of a light pulse in a curved space-time.

Likes Dale and vanhees71
CassiopeiaA said:
Will the photon still travel a curved path if there is no lift and only an observer on earth? How does the frame of reference of the lift effect the path of photon as seen by an observer on earth? Please help me if I am missing a point here.

There is nothing special about it being a"lift." You can imagine the same experiment with the lift replaced by a thin wire cage. You can then make the wires fewer and fewer in number and thinner and thinner. There is no physical effect of the lift other than that it is in free fall.

1. How does the path of a photon change in a free falling lift according to General Theory of Relativity?

In General Theory of Relativity, the path of a photon in a free falling lift remains straight and unaffected by gravity. This is because the effects of gravity are cancelled out by the lift's acceleration.

2. Can the path of a photon be curved in a free falling lift?

No, the path of a photon cannot be curved in a free falling lift according to General Theory of Relativity. The lift's acceleration counteracts the effects of gravity, keeping the photon's path straight.

3. How does the path of a photon change in a free falling lift compared to a stationary lift?

In a stationary lift, the path of a photon will be curved due to the effects of gravity. However, in a free falling lift, the path of a photon remains straight due to the lift's acceleration canceling out the effects of gravity.

4. Does the mass of the lift affect the path of a photon in General Theory of Relativity?

No, the mass of the lift does not affect the path of a photon in General Theory of Relativity. The path of the photon is solely determined by the lift's acceleration and the effects of gravity are canceled out.

5. How does General Theory of Relativity explain the path of a photon in a free falling lift?

General Theory of Relativity explains the path of a photon in a free falling lift by considering the effects of gravity and acceleration. According to this theory, the lift's acceleration cancels out the effects of gravity, resulting in a straight path for the photon.