Photon properties from gauge theories

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of photons being explained as the quanta of an abelian gauge field. The individual is looking for an introductory text on gauge theories and is recommended Feynman's book "QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter". Another important concept mentioned is the reduction of the four-potential Aα to two transversal and physical polarizations through gauge symmetry. A book called "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" is suggested for further understanding. However, it is mentioned that the book can be confusing at times.
Yoran91
Hello everyone,

I read on Wikipedia that a lot of the properties of photons are explained by them being the quanta of an abelian gauge field (link).

Does anyone happen to have a good source on this? I haven't learned anything about gauge theories yet, so I'm looking for an introductory text. So far I've only been able to find very tough textbooks on the matter.

Thank you in advance,
Yoran.

Physics news on Phys.org
A very important concept is the reduction of the four-potential Aα to the two transversal and physical polarizations. This is achieved by gauge symmetry.

I can't recomment this book; it's partially rather confusing, especially when it comes to intuitio and explanations.

1. What are gauge theories?

Gauge theories are mathematical frameworks used to describe the fundamental interactions between particles in the universe. They are based on the principle of local symmetry, which means that the equations of the theory are invariant under certain transformations.

2. How do gauge theories relate to photon properties?

Gauge theories describe the behavior of particles, including photons, through the interaction of fields. These fields have specific properties that determine the behavior of the particles. By studying gauge theories, we can understand the properties of photons, such as their mass, spin, and polarization.

3. What are the properties of photons?

Photons are elementary particles that are the carriers of electromagnetic force. They have zero mass and travel at the speed of light. They also have a spin of 1 and can have two possible polarizations, either parallel or perpendicular to their direction of motion.

4. How do gauge theories explain the behavior of photons?

Gauge theories use mathematical equations to describe the interaction between photons and other particles. These equations take into account the properties of photons, such as their spin and polarization, to accurately predict their behavior in different situations, such as in particle collisions or in the presence of an electromagnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying photon properties from gauge theories?

Understanding the properties of photons through gauge theories has many practical applications. It allows us to develop technologies such as lasers, solar cells, and fiber optics, which rely on the manipulation of light. Additionally, gauge theories play a crucial role in modern theories of particle physics, helping us to better understand the fundamental forces of the universe and the behavior of matter at the smallest scales.