Photon that "fits" into its schwarzschild radius

In summary, photons with smaller and smaller wave lengths have a higher and higher energy and these engeries have an increasing Schwarzschild radius r_s. Consequently, when half the wave length \lambda/2 is equal to r_s, such that one wave length fits into the sphere of the Schwarzschild radius, then the photon has an extremely high energy.
birulami
Photons with smaller and smaller wave lengths have a higher and higher energy and these engeries have an increasing Schwarzschild radius [itex]r_s[/itex]. Consequently i can ask when half the wave length [itex]\lambda/2[/itex] is equal to [itex]r_s[/itex], such that one wave length fits into the sphere of the Schwarzschild radius.

I did the calculation and came out with [tex]\lambda/2 = r_s = \sqrt{Gh/c^3} =\sqrt{2\pi}l_p[/tex] where [itex]l_p[/itex] is the Planck length. Incidently the mass of this photon is [itex]\sqrt{2\pi}\,m_p[/itex] with [itex]m_p[/itex] being the Planck mass.

Now I wonder. Should I be at least a bit surprised about such extremely simple formulas or not. To put another way, is this as trivial as transforming [itex]ab=1[/itex] into [itex]a=1/b[/itex], or is there at least one physical statement needed between the Schwarzschild radius and this specific photon wave length? (Hmm, I hope someone can understand what I mean here. :confused:)

Science news on Phys.org
Photons are massless and their size is not a very well defined concept - and it is definitely not equal to the wavelength. Furthermore your statement is frame dependent as I can find an inertial frame of reference where your photon has a wavelength in the radio wave band.

Before getting all wrapped up with photons and therefore quantum mechanics, why do you think the Swarzchild solution (boundary conditions being static and spherical) is an appropriate one for light?

Last edited:
Orodruin said:
Photons are massless and their size is not a very well defined concept - and it is definitely not equal to the wavelength. Furthermore your statement is frame dependent as I can find an inertial frame of reference where your photon has a wavelength in the radio wave band.

Since a photon has no inertial reference frame and is only a single object, it makes no sense to say that an extremely high energy photon is or is not a black hole. Making that classification is meaningless in the absence of some other object with which to interact. Now add an electron to the system.
It is certainly possible that the photon + electron system will have enough energy in a small enough space to form a black hole. This scenario would have meaningful and observable consequences since neither particle would continue to exist after the intersection.

Thanks for your answers, except I don't get it where you all are heading. I did not mention the term "black hole", I did not say that the photon has a certain size and I did not pronounce any appropriateness of the Schwarzschild solution for light. All i did was toy with some physical formulas out of curiosity and got an, at least for me, surprisingly simple result. My question is basically whether this is at least mildly surprising or completely trivial.

1. What is a photon that "fits" into its schwarzschild radius?

A photon that "fits" into its schwarzschild radius is a hypothetical situation in which the energy of a photon is so strong that it causes a massive object, such as a black hole, to collapse within its own schwarzschild radius. This is based on the theory of general relativity.

2. How does a photon reach its schwarzschild radius?

A photon can reach its schwarzschild radius by continuously losing energy as it travels towards a massive object, such as a black hole. As it loses energy, its wavelength decreases and its frequency increases, until it reaches the point where its energy is strong enough to cause the collapse of the object.

3. What would happen if a photon "fits" into its schwarzschild radius?

If a photon were to "fit" into its schwarzschild radius, it would cause the massive object, such as a black hole, to collapse within itself. This would result in a singularity, a point of infinite density and zero volume, where the laws of physics as we know them break down.

4. Is it possible for a photon to "fit" into its schwarzschild radius?

According to the theory of general relativity, it is possible for a photon to "fit" into its schwarzschild radius. However, this is a hypothetical situation and has not been observed in nature.

5. What implications does a photon "fitting" into its schwarzschild radius have on our understanding of physics?

If a photon were to "fit" into its schwarzschild radius, it would challenge our current understanding of physics and the laws that govern the universe. It would also provide further evidence for the theory of general relativity, and potentially open up new avenues for scientific research and discovery.