Photons and the Uncertainty Principle

In summary, this person is trying to understand some of the physics behind the uncertainty principle and paradoxes that can come from it. They are incorrect in some of their assumptions, but they are providing a summary of the content.
Qbit42
Using the meager physics knowledge I've scrapped together over my 19 year life span I've arrived at the following conundrum. It's more than likely that I'm entirely wrong, but I'd like to know why. Anyways here it goes.

First let me unviel my understanding of the universe, limited though it may be. Elementary particles exibit an phenomenon known as the uncertainty principal, which goes something like
(delta)x(delta)p = h/4(pie). A photon is one such elemetary particle. As far as my understanding of photons goes they are quantized bundles of light energy, which to me suggests that it would travel at the speed of light. It has been well established that the speed of light is constant for any particular medium. So my question is, if the speed of light is always a constant, that would mean that (delta)p is 0, making (delta)x infinity. This makes little sense to me since that would make it neigh impossible to ever find a photon. Also it would give rise to the following paradox. Since the speed of light varies in different substances, and the universe is not a homogeneous mixture of substances, we could never tell which substance a photon is actually traveling though (due to (delta)x being infinity). Since we can't tell what substance it is traveling though, we cannot say what its momentum truly is. Yet this uncertainty in momentum would allow (delta)x to come down from infinity, making it possible to discover which material the photon is in, thus allowing the momentum to be calculated precisely If the momentum is claculated precisely, then (delta)x again rises to infinity. You can see the paradox present here. Can someone please shed some light on this for me, no pun intended. :tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
You are incorrect in stating that the momentum is definitely known. The momentum of a photon has nothing to do with its velocity; it is directly proportional to the frequency.

You are incorrect in stating that the momentum is definitely known. The momentum of a photon has nothing to do with its velocity; it is directly proportional to the frequency.

Oh really? Thanks!

What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle that carries energy and is responsible for electromagnetic interactions. It is the basic unit of light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation.

What is the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. In other words, the more precisely we know one of these properties, the less precisely we can know the other.

How does the Uncertainty Principle relate to photons?

The Uncertainty Principle applies to all particles, including photons. This means that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a photon at the same time. Therefore, the more we know about a photon's position, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa.

What is the role of photons in the Uncertainty Principle?

Photons play a crucial role in the Uncertainty Principle because they are the carriers of energy and momentum. As mentioned earlier, the more precisely we know one of these properties of a photon, the less precisely we can know the other. This is due to the wave-particle duality of photons, which means they can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behaviors.

How does the Uncertainty Principle impact our understanding of the physical world?

The Uncertainty Principle has significant implications for our understanding of the physical world, particularly at a microscopic level. It challenges our classical understanding of the universe and highlights the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. It also has practical applications, such as in the development of technologies like lasers and semiconductors.