The Mystery of Photons and Gravity

In summary: If You look at formula m=E/c² You can see that the kinetic energy of this mass is:...KE=mv^2where m is the mass, v is the velocity, and c is the speed of light.So, yes, they are equal.
pixel01
I've learned that photons have no mass, so why they are still influenced by black holes or other large celestial bodies?

Physics news on Phys.org
pixel01 said:
I've learned that photons have no mass, so why they are still influenced by black holes or other large celestial bodies?

Hi pixel01! :smile:

Two answers:

i] Photons have no rest-mass

but they do have energy, and energy is mass.

ii] In general relativity, objects are not attracted by gravitation, they merely follow geodesics ("straight lines") in space-time.

So they don't need mass to be influenced by large bodies (though the amount of mass does affect which geodesic they follow). :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi pixel01! :smile:

Two answers:

i] Photons have no rest-mass

but they do have energy, and energy is mass.

ii] In general relativity, objects are not attracted by gravitation, they merely follow geodesics ("straight lines") in space-time.

So they don't need mass to be influenced by large bodies (though the amount of mass does affect which geodesic they follow). :smile:

Thank you tiny-tim,
So what is the true mass of a photon? Say a photon beam at 400nm wavelength.

pixel01 said:
Thank you tiny-tim,
So what is the true mass of a photon? Say a photon beam at 400nm wavelength.
Which kind of mass do you mean by "true"?
Invariant (aka rest or proper)
Relativistic (aka inertial or transverse)
Longitudinal
Komar
ADM
Bondi

I would say that the "true" mass is the invariant mass which is 0 for a photon.

DaleSpam said:
Which kind of mass do you mean by "true"?
Invariant (aka rest or proper)
Relativistic (aka inertial or transverse)
Longitudinal
Komar
ADM
Bondi

I would say that the "true" mass is the invariant mass which is 0 for a photon.

I mean the moving-induced mass. The rest mass of photon is 0 already.

pixel01 said:
I mean the moving-induced mass. The rest mass of photon is 0 already.

That would be inertial mass.

[tex]\lambda=[/tex] wavelength

[tex]f=\frac{c}{\lambda}[/tex]

[tex]h=[/tex] Planck's constant

[tex]E=hf[/tex]

[tex]m=\frac{E}{c^2}[/tex]

Regards,

Bill

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:
That would only be the case for imaginary test objects. General relativity has no background, objects that have mass or energy do not have worldines in spacetime they are the curvature of spacetime. In other words spacetime curvature is mass and energy and how they are distributed. By the way the curvature of spacetime can cause both attraction and repulsion.

Last edited:
MeJennifer said:
That would only be the case for imaginary test objects. General relativity has no background, objects that have mass or energy do not have worldines in spacetime they are the curvature of spacetime. In other words spacetime curvature is mass and energy and how they are distributed. By the way the curvature of spacetime can cause both attraction and repulsion.
This is of course correct, but (as you already know) if the mass of the object is much less than that of the star that deflects its path, a test particle's path is an excellent approximation of the actual path.

(For those who don't know this already, a "test particle" is a particle that can move around in spacetime without contributing to space-time curvature. It's just a theoretical idea that we can use to approximately calculate the paths of real particles).

MeJennifer said:
Let's take a spherical, non rotating not charged, homogeneous star: there is curvature outside of it; does it mean the stress-energy tensor T is non zero there because of the gravitational energy only? Or the tensor T is zero there?

MeJennifer said:
General relativity has no background, objects that have mass or energy do not have worldines in spacetime they are the curvature of spacetime. In other words spacetime curvature is mass and energy and how they are distributed.

I think a statement like
"spacetime curvature is mass and energy and how they are distributed."
needs some more precise justification... especially when using is.
Otherwise, I fear misconceptions that might arise from it.
In my opinion, "is associated with" seems more appropriate.

Antenna Guy said:
That would be inertial mass.

Wouldn't it also be gravitational mass?

Usaf Moji said:
Wouldn't it also be gravitational mass?

Only where the invariant/rest mass is zero. Otherwise, inertial mass is a component of gravitational/relativistic mass.

Regards,

Bill

Antenna Guy said:
Only where the invariant/rest mass is zero. Otherwise, inertial mass is a component of gravitational/relativistic mass.

Regards,

Bill

Are inertial mass and gravitational mass not equal?

If You look at formula m=E/c² You can see that the kinetic energy of this mass is: E_kin=mc²/2=E/2.

cryptic said:
Are inertial mass and gravitational mass not equal?

So long as one can distinguish between rest mass and inertial mass, I'm inclined to say no (clarif: they are not equal).

If You look at formula m=E/c² You can see that the kinetic energy of this mass is: E_kin=mc²/2=E/2.

I'm afraid I cannot. The "m" you are using might well be either rest mass or relativistic mass depending upon the usage - and relativistic kinetic energy can be described by:

[tex]KE=mc^2-m_0 c^2[/tex]

where [itex]m[/itex] is relativistic mass, and [itex]m_0[/itex] is rest mass.

Relativistic mass is not generally inertial mass (i.e. v=0 with respect to your usage), and rest mass is not generally gravitational mass (i.e. a photon). However, I think it is true that relativistic mass is generally equivalent to gravitational mass.

Perhaps someone more adept than I could clarify/correct what I have said.

Regards,

Bill

Last edited:
Antenna Guy said:
I think it is true that relativistic mass is generally equivalent to gravitational mass.

Agreed.

Welcome to PF!

Hi cryptic! Welcome to PF! :smile:
cryptic said:
… If You look at formula m=E/c² You can see that the kinetic energy of this mass is: E_kin=mc²/2=E/2.

ah … you're using the Newtonian definition of KE, E = m0v2/2.

The Einsteinian definition of KE differs, at low speeds, by an additive constant, m0c2:

E = mc2 = m0c2/√(1 - v2/c2),
since that is approximately:

E = mc2 = m0c2(1 + v2/2c2) + …, = m0c2 + m0v2/2 + ….​

So the Newtonian m0v2/2 isn't half of the Einsteinian KE, it's the tiny (compared with m0c2) second-order adjustment. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
The Einsteinian definition of KE differs, at low speeds, by an additive constant, m0c2:

E = mc2 = m0c2/√(1 - v2/c2),

I don't think there's anything "kinetic" about rest energy.

Regards,

Bill

Antenna Guy said:
I don't think there's anything "kinetic" about rest energy.

Hi Bill! :smile:

I'm just using "KE" as the opposite of "PE". :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi cryptic! Welcome to PF! :smile:

ah … you're using the Newtonian definition of KE, E = m0v2/2.

:smile:

Hi,

but isn't it so that Photons have two parts of energy: oscillation energy and translation (kinetic ) energy? And oscillation ground state energy is quantum mechanically E=hf/2.

I think seriosus discussion is not possible because my posts disappeer after few minutes. :smile:

Regards

tiny-tim said:
I'm just using "KE" as the opposite of "PE". :wink:

The bowliverse must be an interesting place... :smile:

Regards,

Bill

1. What are photons and how do they relate to gravity?

Photons are particles of light that have no mass and travel at the speed of light. They relate to gravity through the theory of general relativity, which explains that the presence of mass and energy causes a curvature in space-time, and this curvature is what we experience as gravity. Photons, being massless, are not affected by gravity in the same way as objects with mass, but they do follow the curved path of space-time created by massive objects.

2. How do photons behave differently from other particles in terms of gravity?

As mentioned before, photons have no mass, which means they do not experience gravitational attraction in the same way as massive objects. They are also unique in that they always travel at the speed of light, which is the maximum speed allowed in the universe according to the theory of relativity. This means that photons cannot be accelerated or slowed down by gravitational forces.

3. Are photons affected by the gravitational force of black holes?

Yes, photons are affected by the gravitational force of black holes, but in a different way than massive objects. Black holes have a strong gravitational pull due to their extremely high mass, and this causes a significant curvature in space-time. Photons, being massless, follow this curvature and can actually be trapped in the event horizon of a black hole, unable to escape its gravitational pull.

4. How do scientists study the interaction between photons and gravity?

Scientists study the interaction between photons and gravity through various experiments and observations. For example, the bending of light around massive objects, such as stars and galaxies, is a direct result of the curvature of space-time caused by their gravitational pull. This phenomenon, known as gravitational lensing, has been observed and studied extensively. Other experiments involve measuring the redshift of light from distant galaxies, which can reveal information about the expansion of the universe and how gravity affects the movement of light.

5. Is there a connection between photons and the gravitational waves detected by LIGO?

Yes, there is a connection between photons and gravitational waves. Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time, and when they pass through an area, they cause a temporary change in the curvature of space-time. This change can affect the path of photons passing through that area, causing them to travel a slightly different path. This phenomenon, known as gravitational lensing, has been observed in the detection of gravitational waves by LIGO, providing evidence of the connection between photons and gravity.