Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Physical Relevance of Singularity Theorems?

1. Oct 21, 2016 #1

strangerep

Science Advisor

I've been reading this recent review paper by Senovilla & Garfinkle on The 1965 Penrose singularity theorem.

In sect 8.3 (p38):
    Their eqn(6) is on p8: ##R_{\rho\nu} u^\rho u^\nu ~\ge~ 0 ~.##

The message I take away from this is that much of the theory about singularity theorems has turned out to be irrelevant to the real world.

Or am I missing something? :oldconfused:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2016 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I would say might turn out to be irrelevant to the real world. It depends on how the various proposed "no singularity" solutions for the early universe and for black holes (actually "apparent" black holes if the proposals work out, since the proposed solutions contain no event horizons, only apparent horizons) pan out. If they work out, then yes, it would be true that the singularity theorems only apply to solutions that turn out not to describe the real world--in the solutions that describe the real world, key assumptions that go into the singularity theorems are violated (mainly the energy conditions).

4. Oct 21, 2016 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One could argue that an additional contribution of the singularity theorems is that it they frame how to think about the general problem of singularities ( not tied to a particular class of solutions ). If more cases are needed, then they may arise as variations of existing theorems... possibly with different ways of imposing conditions needed to complete the proofs.

5. Oct 22, 2016 #4

strangerep

Science Advisor

Hmm. Wishful thinking? :rolleyes:

(Anyway, thanks for the comments. :oldbiggrin: )

6. Oct 22, 2016 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted