Physicist with background in diffusion, simulationwhat after PhD?

In summary, the speaker is a PhD student focusing on molecular simulation but finds that there is too much chemistry involved and not enough emphasis on physics. They are interested in finding other fields of research that require simulation experience and have a greater focus on physics, potentially for a future career move. They are asking for recommendations and have been suggested to visit certain websites and send their resume to headhunters. It is noted that the Black-Scholes equation, a key concept in mathematical finance, is based on a diffusion equation.
angura
Hi there,

as the title already suggests, I'm currently a phd student focusing on molecular simulation of diffusion phenomena. I took this position, because I'm very interested in the application and development of simulation methods in general. However, for my taste there is simply way to much chemistry involved there, so that I often simply don't know elementary things, that every chemist master would know, and which is why I have to spend lots of time to learn chemistry basics instead of focusing on physics. :(
(I don't want to talk badly about chemistry, it is simply not my thing and not what I learned)

That's why I was wondering, if someone knows other fields of research, where simulation experience and interest is needed and that has more emphasis on physics. So that I might have some chances to switch to another field after my PhD, because I have a background in a more or less related field. (Not necessarily academic, also industry etc.)

Does anyone have some hints for me?

Thx in advance.
angura

Physics news on Phys.org
Go to www.wilmott.com[/url] and [url]www.efinancialcareers.com[/url] and [url]www.dice.com[/URL] and e-mail your resume to Wall Street headhunters.

The Black-Scholes equation which is the core of mathematical finance is just a diffusion equation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi angura,

It's great to hear that you have a strong interest in simulation methods and their application in physics. It's understandable that you may feel frustrated with the amount of chemistry involved in your current research, but it's important to remember that interdisciplinary research can often lead to new and innovative discoveries. However, if you are looking to switch to a field with a stronger focus on physics, there are definitely options available to you.

One field that may interest you is computational physics, which involves using computer simulations to study various physical phenomena. This field has a strong emphasis on theoretical and computational methods, and may be a good fit for your background and interests. Additionally, there are many industries that rely on computational physics, such as aerospace, automotive, and energy, so there are opportunities for both academic and industry positions.

Another option could be to explore fields that use simulation methods in different ways, such as materials science or biophysics. These fields also have a strong focus on simulation techniques, but may have a different application focus that aligns more with your interests.

Ultimately, the best way to explore your options would be to network with professionals in different fields, attend conferences and workshops, and keep an open mind to new opportunities. Your background in diffusion and simulation will be valuable in many fields, so don't limit yourself to just one area of research.

Best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. What career options are available for a physicist with a background in diffusion and simulation after completing a PhD?

There are several career paths available for a physicist with expertise in diffusion and simulation. Some common options include working in research and development in industries such as materials science, biotechnology, or energy. Other possibilities include becoming a professor or researcher at a university or national laboratory, or pursuing a career in data analysis or software development.

2. How can a physicist with a background in diffusion and simulation find employment opportunities?

One way to find job opportunities is to network with other professionals in the field and attend conferences or workshops related to diffusion and simulation. Additionally, many companies and organizations post job openings on their websites or job search engines, so regularly checking these sources can also be helpful.

3. What skills are essential for a successful career as a physicist with a background in diffusion and simulation?

Aside from a strong understanding of diffusion and simulation concepts, key skills for success in this field include critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Communication and collaboration skills are also important, as well as proficiency in relevant software and programming languages.

4. Are there any professional organizations or societies for physicists with a background in diffusion and simulation?

Yes, there are several professional organizations and societies specifically for physicists and scientists working in the fields of diffusion and simulation. Some examples include the American Physical Society's Division of Materials Physics, the Materials Research Society, and the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.

5. How can a physicist with a background in diffusion and simulation continue to develop their skills and knowledge after completing a PhD?

There are many opportunities for continued learning and professional development for physicists with a background in diffusion and simulation. This can include attending conferences and workshops, participating in online courses or webinars, and collaborating with other professionals in the field. Additionally, staying informed about new research and advancements in the field can also help to expand one's knowledge and skills.