Physics 11 Force and potential energy

In summary, the question asks for the height at which a stone, released after being subjected to a constant upward force of 410N for a distance of 2.0m, will rise. To solve this problem, one can use the Work-Energy Theorem to calculate the work done by the force on the stone, which is equal to the change in its potential energy. Equating this potential energy to the work done and solving for the height yields a final height of 26m. Further questions can be posted on a new topic.
Iceclover

Homework Statement

A constant net force of 410N up is applied to a stone that weighs 32N. The upward force is applied through a distance of 2.0m andthe stone is then released. TO what height from the point of release will the stone rise?

Homework Equations

Ep=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Ep=mgh
410=32(h)
h=13m

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure where you're going with your solution.
Personally, I'd apply impulse again to get the stone's final velocity at the time of release, and then treat it as one-dimensional motion with constant acceleration.

i can't use impulse can I? i don't have a time?

Picky, picky...:blushing:

OK, how about the Work-Energy theorem to find the velocity at release?

Ek=1/2mv^2? and which force do i use

Iceclover said:
Ek=1/2mv^2?

Ah, no. Can you state the Work-Energy Theorem? (If not, can you look it up in your textbook or notes?)

An easier way is to use the Work-Energy Theorem, as stated above. Calculate the work done by the force on the stone for the 2m that it is applied (recall, work done = force * distance). When the stone reaches its maximum height, all the energy is the potential energy, so you can equate the potential energy to the work done, and solve for h.

Last edited:
Work done on object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy

OK, so can you apply it? (I know I can...)

what do i do once I've found velocity

Use a basic kinematics equation for motion with constant acceleration.

the answer i got was 26m

Oddly enough, so do I.

ok good, thank you very much

do you have time for another question?

Not really... but I'm in the middle of studying for my physics final, so this helps me, too. Look, If I don't answer, someone else will. (That's why this forum rocks!)

ok sounds good, i think I am going to make a new topic though

1. What is the relationship between force and potential energy?

The relationship between force and potential energy is that force is the driving factor behind the change in potential energy. When a force is applied to an object, it can change the object's position or shape, resulting in a change in potential energy.

2. How is potential energy calculated?

Potential energy is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its height and the acceleration due to gravity (PE = mgh). This is known as gravitational potential energy. Other forms of potential energy, such as elastic potential energy, have different equations for calculation.

3. What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

4. How does potential energy affect an object's motion?

Potential energy can affect an object's motion by causing it to accelerate or decelerate. If an object has a high potential energy, it will tend to move towards a lower potential energy state, which can result in motion. This is known as the principle of conservation of energy.

5. What are some real-life examples of potential energy?

Some real-life examples of potential energy include a rollercoaster at the top of a hill, a stretched spring, a book on a shelf, and a pendulum at its highest point. These objects all have the potential to move or change position, which means they possess potential energy.