1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and Potential Energy Coordinates

1. Oct 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the force corresponding to the potential energy function ##V (r) = \frac{cz}{r^3}##, where ##c## is a constant. Write your answer in vector notation, and also in spherical polars, and verify that it satisfies ##∇∧F = 0##.

2. Relevant equations
    ##F(x)=-\frac{dU}{dx}##

Spherical Coordinates:
    ##r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I'm confused a bit here. I think the vector notation will only have a ##z## component. So differentiate to get ##F## and then as ##r## is a polar coordinate I just change ##r^3## to ##\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}^3##. This doesn't look right though. I have a list of relations from cartesian to spherical coordinates but I don't understand how to answer the question with the ##\frac{1}{r^3}##. I know how to do the last bit which is the curl. Thanks in advance for any help in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your relevant equation is not true for three dimension. So what is the relation between the force and the potential energy function?

4. Oct 7, 2015 #3
    Ok is it:

##F(x,y,z)=-\Big(\frac{dU}{dx}+\frac{dU}{dy}+\frac{dU}{dz}\Big)##?

5. Oct 7, 2015 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. The force is a vector. You wrote a scalar.

6. Oct 7, 2015 #5
    ##F(x,y,z)=-\Big(\frac{dU}{dx}\hat{i}+\frac{dU}{dy}\hat{j}+\frac{dU}{dz}\hat{k}\Big)##?

7. Oct 7, 2015 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.
    Now you can determine the force from the potential function.

8. Oct 7, 2015 #7
    So ##F=\frac{c}{r^3}\hat{k}##?

9. Oct 7, 2015 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did you get it?
    You have to differentiate the potential energy function with respect to all coordinates, x, y, z.

10. Oct 7, 2015 #9
    Well there is no x or y component so its only the differentiating with respect to z that matters no?

11. Oct 7, 2015 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The potential energy is a scalar, it does not have "components". But it depends on all the three coordinates through r ##r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}##
    What are the partial derivatives?

12. Oct 7, 2015 #11
    So is ##r^3 = x^3+y^3+z^3##?

13. Oct 7, 2015 #12

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ##r^3=(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}##

14. Oct 7, 2015 #13
    I know that's the obvious answer but I thought it was to do with what the power was. So I have to differentiate:

##\frac{cz}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}##

With respect to x,y and z?

15. Oct 7, 2015 #14

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. You need all partial derivatives, ## \partial U / \partial x ##, ## \partial U / \partial y ##, ## \partial U / \partial z ##.

16. Oct 7, 2015 #15

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

17. Oct 7, 2015 #16
    So I have a long mess of an answer that I won't put up cos it seems pointless. I'm fairly sure it was all differentiated correctly though. For the spherical part do I just start again and change ##z## to ##rcos\theta##?

18. Oct 7, 2015 #17

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted