Physics advice for math phd student

In summary, the speaker is completing their PhD in mathematics and is interested in pursuing a career in physics or electronics in industry before deciding on academia. They are looking for a more mathematically mature textbook on classical mechanics and other topics in physics, and are curious about the level of physics knowledge needed for industry jobs. They also mention the usefulness of number theory and suggest studying optimization for potential industry prospects.
evoluciona2
Hi,

I'm completing my phd in mathematics (number theory) within a year or so. I'm not sure I want to pursue academia and would like to work in the industry first. I'm interested in pursuing physics, electronics, and building things :) and was curious about working in a physics related job before deciding about academia. I haven't taken any physics courses, but have done functional analysis but no PDEs. I have two sets of questions and I apologize in advance for any overlap with other postings :)

(1) I would like to start reading about classical mechanics (followed by EM, QM, Relativity, and so on). I'm looking for a good book that is mathematically more mature but would still cover what a first course would cover (perhaps more quickly). I'm finding that the books I pick off the library shelf are either "Second courses" which don't provide the intuition or enough basic examples, or are "First courses" which are too introductory. Currently I'm reading Marion's Classical Dynamics and it's an okay compromise, but I was curious if there was something better. The same question applies for EM, QM, etc.

(2) This one may have been posted, but how much physics would I need to start in the industry and be useful. I'd be able to learn on my own additionally. Would one be able to get by with an undergrad level knowledge or would graduate courses be highly desired? Which courses?

Thanks!

-evoluciona

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a few textbooks of physics which are addressed to maths graduate students.

In QM, I have seen just one such textbook which is called QM for mathematicians.
In classical mechanics there's Arnold's classic textbook mathematical methods of classical mechanics, there are also some new notes from Darryl Holm which you can find in his website.
In EM, I am not aware of a textbook which is for maths students, I guess everyone thinks Jackson's textbook (classical electromagnetism) is THE reference to be used.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

-evo

For industry I think physics is probably just as useful as number theory (out of the frying pan into...). Number theory in it self is a large field but for the type of person who was interested in that field I would suggest learning stuff on optimization in particular "integer programming" that has good prospects industry wise and leaves the door open to comeback to academia (but you will go to an operations research/ industrial engineering group). good luck with whatever you decide

1. What is the importance of studying physics as a math PhD student?

As a math PhD student, studying physics can provide you with a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles that govern the natural world. This can help you to better understand complex mathematical concepts and their real-world applications.

2. How can studying physics help me with my research in mathematics?

Studying physics can provide you with a different perspective on problem-solving and critical thinking. Many mathematical concepts have physical analogies that can help you to understand and visualize them better. Additionally, the mathematical techniques used in physics, such as differential equations and vector calculus, can be applied to various areas of mathematics.

3. Is it necessary for a math PhD student to have a strong background in physics?

Having a strong background in physics is not necessary for a math PhD student, but it can be beneficial. It can help you to approach problems from different angles and provide you with a more comprehensive understanding of mathematical concepts.

4. How can I improve my understanding of physics as a math PhD student?

One way to improve your understanding of physics is to take relevant courses or read textbooks on the subject. You can also attend seminars or conferences on physics-related topics to gain insights from experts in the field. Additionally, collaborating with physicists on research projects can also help you to improve your understanding of physics.

5. What are some practical applications of physics in mathematics?

There are many practical applications of physics in mathematics. For example, the study of fluid mechanics, which is rooted in physics, has applications in many areas of mathematics, such as differential equations and topology. The principles of electromagnetism are also widely used in mathematical modeling and simulations. Furthermore, quantum mechanics has led to the development of new mathematical approaches, such as quantum computing and cryptography.