How Do You Isolate TF in the Method of Mixtures Equation?

In summary: X = (c*Y + d*Z) / (a + b)So in your specific problem, you'd start with:(cl*ml)*TF + (cg*mg)*TF = (cg*mg)*TG + (cl*ml)*TLFactor out the TF:(cl*ml + cg*mg)*TF = (cg*mg)*TG + (cl*ml)*TLAnd solve for TF:TF = [(cg*mg)*TG + (cl*ml)*TL] / (cl*ml + cg*mg)Hopefully that makes sense and helps you understand the process a bit better. Keep practicing and you'll get there!In summary, the conversation involved solving an equation for TF using
Petrucciowns
How would you solve cl *ml *(TL-TF)= cg*mg*(TF-TG)

for TF?

The text gives it as

Tf= cl*ml*TL+cg*mg*Tg / cl*ml+cg*mg

If you are wondering the basic equation is for method of mixtures

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing to do is multiply it out to get rid of the parentheses. Hint: a*(x - y) = a*x - a*y.

Then collect all the terms with the Tf factor to one side.

Doc Al said:
First thing to do is multiply it out to get rid of the parentheses. Hint: a*(x - y) = a*x - a*y.

Then collect all the terms with the Tf factor to one side.

Hmmm, thanks for the help but, I'm still not getting it. Here is what I'm trying so far. Sorry algebra has never been my strong point. :(

cl* ml*TL-ml*TF = cg* mg* TF - mg *TG

then TF/1= cg * mg* TF-mg*TG / cl *ml*TL-ml ----- I think this is where I screw it up

then: TF/TF = cg * mg -mg * TG / cl * ml* TL-ml

as you can see I'm probably doing this all wrong and am getting myself confused.

Petrucciowns said:
Hmmm, thanks for the help but, I'm still not getting it. Here is what I'm trying so far. Sorry algebra has never been my strong point. :(

cl* ml*TL-ml*TF = cg* mg* TF - mg *TG

then TF/1= cg * mg* TF-mg*TG / cl *ml*TL-ml ----- I think this is where I screw it up

then: TF/TF = cg * mg -mg * TG / cl * ml* TL-ml

as you can see I'm probably doing this all wrong and am getting myself confused.

You lost some terms right off the bat there. Check your first line -- you didn't distribute the cl*ml across both terms in the parenthesis on the left-hand side (LHS). And you made the same error on the RHS.

No shortcuts: a*b*(x - y) = a*b*x - a*b*y

Soo... the first line would look more like:

cl*ml*TL- cl*ml*TF = cg*mg*TF-cg*mg*TG?

Petrucciowns said:
Soo... the first line would look more like:

cl*ml*TL- cl*ml*TF = cg*mg*TF-cg*mg*TG?
Now you're cooking!

lol..

So I'm probably going to screw up again ,but would the next line be TF = cg x mg x TF - cg x mg x TG / cl x ml x TL - cl x ml ?

Petrucciowns said:
So I'm probably going to screw up again ,but would the next line be TF = cg x mg x TF - cg x mg x TG / cl x ml x TL - cl x ml ?
Do the second step that I suggested: Starting with your new first line, move all the terms that contain TF to the left and all others to the right.

By doing that I get: TF= cg x mg x TG / Cl x ML x TL- CL x MLOnce again my algebra skills are really lacking so bare with me.

Petrucciowns said:
By doing that I get: TF= cg x mg x TG / Cl x ML x TL- CL x ML
Just move the terms to one side. Don't divide by anything yet. (One step at a time.)

But both sides are filled with variables, don't you have to clear one side to be able to have the side clear for TF?

Petrucciowns said:
But both sides are filled with variables, don't you have to clear one side to be able to have the side clear for TF?
No. In your equation in post #6 there are 4 terms (each with multiple factors, like a*b*c). Two of them contain Tf and two do not. Move things around so that the two Tf terms are on the left side and the others are on the right.

Ok, I see so cl*ml*TL- cl*ml*TF = cg*mg*TF-cg*mg*TG becomes:

cl*ml*TF+cg*mg*TF= cg*mg*TG+cl*ml*TL?

Petrucciowns said:
Ok, I see so cl*ml*TL- cl*ml*TF = cg*mg*TF-cg*mg*TG becomes:

cl*ml*TF+cg*mg*TF= cg*mg*TG+cl*ml*TL?
Looks good. Now you can take the left hand side and factor out the TF, adding in the correct parentheses. It will be wise to put parentheses around the right hand side too.

What do you mean like this?

(cl*ml)(TF)+(cg*mg)(TF)= (cg*mg)(TG)+(cl*ml)(TL)

then

TF/TF = TF= (cg*mg)(TG)+(cl*ml)(TL) / (cl*ml)+(cg*mg)Looks like I got it ehhhh? I really appreciate your help, I hope I can remember this

Petrucciowns said:

then

TF/TF = TF= (cg*mg)(TG)+(cl*ml)(TL) / (cl*ml)+(cg*mg)

Looks like I got it ehhhh? I really appreciate your help, I hope I can remember this

I think you have the right idea in your head, but you have written things down rather sloppily ... in essence, wrongly.

For starters,
TF/TF = TF​
is simply not true. Forget the TF/TF here.

TF= (cg*mg)(TG)+(cl*ml)(TL) / (cl*ml)+(cg*mg)
Can you add parantheses, in two places, to make this a correct statement? Maybe use square parantheses [], in order not to confuse distinguish them with the regular () kind.

As written, this equation means

TF = [(cg*mg)(TG)] + [(cl*ml)(TL) / (cl*ml)] + [(cg*mg)]

which probably isn't what you meant.

Petrucciowns said:

then

TF/TF = TF= (cg*mg)(TG)+(cl*ml)(TL) / (cl*ml)+(cg*mg)

Looks like I got it ehhhh? I really appreciate your help, I hope I can remember this
As Redbelly98 says, it looks like you've got the right idea, but you need to be more careful when writing it out. Here's the outline of what I had in mind:

Starting with something like this:
a*X + b*X = c*Y + d*Z

Factor out the X, adding in parentheses as needed:
(a + b)*X = (c*Y + d*Z)

Solve for X and you're done.

FAQ: How Do You Isolate TF in the Method of Mixtures Equation?

1. What is a Physics algebra problem?

A Physics algebra problem is a mathematical equation or expression that involves physical quantities and uses algebraic operations to find a solution. It is used to solve problems related to motion, forces, energy, and other concepts in physics.

2. Why is algebra important in physics?

Algebra is important in physics because it allows us to express physical phenomena in a concise and mathematical way. By using algebra, we can describe the relationship between different physical quantities and calculate their values to solve real-world problems.

3. How do I approach solving a physics algebra problem?

To solve a physics algebra problem, you should first identify the given information and what you are trying to find. Then, use the appropriate equations and substitute the given values. Finally, solve for the unknown variable using algebraic operations.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a physics algebra problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a physics algebra problem include using the wrong equations, incorrect substitution of values, and not considering the proper units. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and double-check your calculations to avoid these errors.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve a physics algebra problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a physics algebra problem. However, it is important to understand the concepts behind the problem and not solely rely on the calculator. Also, make sure to use the correct functions and units on your calculator.

Back