1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics and Computer Science

1. Oct 15, 2013 #1
    How far can Physics help me in Computer Science, and in which fields?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In all fields and as far as you want it to.

At the least direct, the practical problem solving experience of physics training is invaluable.
    More directly, the mathematics-as-a-tool/language POV will help everywhere too.
    Most directly - anything involving the interrelation of data and the real world.
    It's wide open because physics is so general.

4. Oct 15, 2013 #3
    It can help you in the very tangible ways Simon listed, but outside of core math/problem solving skills, it won't offer much direct help in most industries. Unless you get into work with modeling and simulation or other similar research and need to have a grasp on how the universe works, physics is sort of outside the realm of day-to-day activities.

I speak as a software developer who got a minor in physics for fun. If you love physics, definitely do it. It's worth it even if you don't directly use it every day. I work in the banking/finance industry, and, not surprisingly, quantum physics doesn't come up too often.

5. Oct 15, 2013 #4
    What about quantum-computing?

6. Oct 15, 2013 #5
    Quantum computing is way more commonly done in physics departments rather than comp sci departments and it is not fully developed so any of the comp sci you need to learn can be learned in the physics department.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook