Physics and Tecnology of Radiations

• Thread starter Radiation
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, to find the average energy lost by an electron from stopping radiation, you can use the equation Y ≈ [ 3×10^-4 Z (T/mec^2) ] / [ 1 + 3×10^−4 Z (T/mec2) ] and the energy distributions of beta particles emitted by 204Tl to calculate the average energy lost by the particle when traversing a certain path length.
Radiation

Homework Statement

this is the problem:

Y ≈ [ 3×10^-4 Z (T/mec^2) ] / [ 1 + 3×10^−4 Z (T/mec2) ]

this fraction gives us the approach energy lost by an electron from stopping radiation.
For beta particles emitted by 204Tl calculate the average value of energy lost by electron under the form of stopping radiation.

Homework Equations

&&

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, they give us this website to check the beta radiation from that component http://ie.lbl.gov/toi/nuclide.asp?iZA=810204" ( in the end of the page ). I suppose that i must do the average between the 29% particles with 347.5 Kev and the 97% with 763.72 Kev of energy. then i also know how to calculate de kinetic energy like T = E - mc^2
okay. know, radiation energy is like onde portion of the lost energy. the other part is colisional right? i can't just figure out what portion of energy is lost by radiation coz that Z ( atomic number) is not given, since is it suppose to be for any material.
I am a little stucked up, can anyone help me?

( sorry for my bad english, i hope that i made myself clear enough for you to understand :x )Thanks : )

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you gave is the stopping power of the material, which is the amount of energy per unit path length (typically MeV/cm) that is lost by the particle. This is not the energy lost by the particle in total. The total energy lost by the particle is equal to the kinetic energy it had when entering the material minus the kinetic energy it has when leaving the material (assuming no energy is lost as heat).For beta particles emitted by 204Tl, you can use the energy distributions given in the link you provided to calculate the average energy lost by the particle when traversing a certain path length. To do this, you will need to calculate the average energy of the particles and then multiply that by the stopping power equation you provided to get the average energy lost.

1. What is radiation?

Radiation is a form of energy that is emitted in the form of waves or particles. It can be found naturally in the environment, such as in sunlight, or can be man-made, such as in X-rays or nuclear power.

2. How does radiation impact our daily lives?

Radiation is used in a variety of ways in our daily lives, such as in medical imaging, communication technology, and energy production. However, excessive exposure to radiation can also have harmful effects on our bodies, so it is important to use it safely and in moderation.

3. What is the relationship between radiation and physics?

Radiation is a phenomenon that can be explained through the principles of physics. It involves the transfer of energy through waves or particles, which can be described and measured using various physical laws and equations.

4. How is radiation used in medical treatments?

Radiation is used in medical treatments such as radiation therapy, which uses high-energy radiation to kill cancer cells. It can also be used in imaging techniques, such as X-rays and CT scans, to help diagnose and monitor medical conditions.

5. What are the potential risks of exposure to radiation?

Excessive exposure to radiation can have harmful effects on our bodies, such as damaging DNA and causing mutations. It can also increase the risk of cancer and other health issues. Therefore, it is important to use radiation safely and follow recommended exposure limits.