Physics BA: Options after Undergrad

In summary, the speaker is majoring in Physics and plans to go to graduate school for Electrical Engineering. They are unable to switch majors or take EE courses due to their schedule. They are seeking advice on how to make themselves marketable to graduate programs, and if grad school is not an option, they are wondering what career options they have after college. The speaker suggests doing well in courses and gaining research experience as a way to increase chances for grad school. They also mention that some EE professors may view a physics background as beneficial, and share their own experience of doing plasma physics in grad school as an EE major. They hope that a faculty member will provide further insight.
dreamfulmirag
I'm majoring in Physics (getting a BA) and want to go to graduate school for Electrical Engineering. During my first year and a half of college, I explored different subject areas and tried to figure out what I was interested in. Because of this, I don't have space in my schedule to switch majors or take Electrical Engineering courses on the side. Any advice on what I could do to make myself marketable to graduate programs? If grad school is a reach in my situation, what could I do after college (career wise)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know people who did EE grad school after a physics major - one was from a liberal arts school that had no engineering so he clearly had no engineering courses (EDIT: I thought of a second person I went to grad school with who was from a liberal arts school). If you do well in your courses, and do whatever you can to get some research experience, you will have a shot at grad school. A great recommendation from a researcher you worked with will go a long way - profs want grad students who can do research!

If you are interested in the parts of EE that are more applied-physics aligned (electromagnetic, plasma physics, solid state device physics, photonics, ...) then some profs will see your physics background as a great benefit. I had several EE profs. that had even had PhDs in physics, so don't despair! I am an EE and did plasma physics in grad school, and I went to grad school with quite a few folks that did Physics as undergrads.

Hopefully some faculty member will chime in soon - I am in industry so don't have as much insight as a faculty member would!

best regards,

jason

Last edited:

Related to Physics BA: Options after Undergrad

1. What are the career options available for someone with a Physics BA degree?

There are many career options available for someone with a Physics BA degree. Some popular choices include research and development, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and science writing. Other options include working in government agencies, consulting firms, or technology companies.

2. Is it necessary to pursue a graduate degree after completing a Physics BA?

It is not necessary to pursue a graduate degree after completing a Physics BA, but it can open up more opportunities and potentially lead to higher paying jobs. Many employers prefer candidates with a graduate degree, especially for research and development positions.

3. Can a Physics BA degree lead to a career in finance or business?

Yes, a Physics BA degree can lead to a career in finance or business. The analytical and problem-solving skills developed through studying physics can be valuable in these fields. Some companies specifically seek out physics graduates for roles in data analysis, risk management, and quantitative finance.

4. What skills do Physics BA graduates possess that make them attractive to employers?

Physics BA graduates possess a variety of skills that make them attractive to employers, including critical thinking, problem-solving, analytical reasoning, and strong mathematical skills. They also have experience with data analysis, computer programming, and laboratory techniques, which are valuable in many industries.

5. Can a Physics BA degree lead to a career in a non-science field?

Yes, a Physics BA degree can lead to a career in a non-science field. The skills and knowledge gained through studying physics can be applied to a wide range of industries and professions. For example, the strong analytical and problem-solving skills developed in physics can be useful in fields such as law, medicine, and environmental policy.