1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics BA: Options after Undergrad

1. Mar 16, 2013 #1
    I'm majoring in Physics (getting a BA) and want to go to graduate school for Electrical Engineering. During my first year and a half of college, I explored different subject areas and tried to figure out what I was interested in. Because of this, I don't have space in my schedule to switch majors or take Electrical Engineering courses on the side. Any advice on what I could do to make myself marketable to graduate programs? If grad school is a reach in my situation, what could I do after college (career wise)?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know people who did EE grad school after a physics major - one was from a liberal arts school that had no engineering so he clearly had no engineering courses (EDIT: I thought of a second person I went to grad school with who was from a liberal arts school). If you do well in your courses, and do whatever you can to get some research experience, you will have a shot at grad school. A great recommendation from a researcher you worked with will go a long way - profs want grad students who can do research!

If you are interested in the parts of EE that are more applied-physics aligned (electromagnetic, plasma physics, solid state device physics, photonics, ...) then some profs will see your physics background as a great benefit. I had several EE profs. that had even had PhDs in physics, so don't despair! I am an EE and did plasma physics in grad school, and I went to grad school with quite a few folks that did Physics as undergrads.

Hopefully some faculty member will chime in soon - I am in industry so don't have as much insight as a faculty member would!

best regards,

jason

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook