Physics beyond the speed of light.

In summary: There was a paper published I want to say about a year ago (I looked but could not find it) that was somewhat along these lines. I could only get a little way through it because it was technical but the gist was that the paper was exploring what superluminal travel would be like according to GR/SR-type theories; acknowledging that such travel was by all accounts impossible.
brianhurren
Is there a branch of physics that exist over the speed of light? like a superphysics or hyperphysics?

Science news on Phys.org
that branch is called science fiction

Khashishi said:
that branch is called science fiction

+1 on that

yes, I mean hypothetically. it would all be theoretical, only of interest to drunken mathematicians.

This is venturing into pure speculation, which is against the Rules of this forum. You've already been given an answer to your question, which is whether there is a branch of physics dealing with this.

Zz.

Asked and answered.

brianhurren said:
yes, I mean hypothetically. it would all be theoretical, only of interest to drunken mathematicians.
"Drunken mathematicians"?? I resemble that remark!

brianhurren said:
Is there a branch of physics that exist over the speed of light? like a superphysics or hyperphysics?

There is no brance of physics for just FTL, because FTL is only known to be possible in Cosmology. (The study of the universe at a large scale) Galaxies beyond a certain distance from us reach recession velocities that are above c due to the metric expansion of space.

I assume this isn't anything like what you were expecting, but this is literally the only case of FTL that we know of.

Drakkith said:
this is literally the only case of FTL that we know of.

Unless...

If Brian is asking about the Hartman Effect involving virtual particles, or Cherenkov radiation resultant of a particle exceeding the phase velocity, but not the individual photonic speed, of light in a medium.
This might just be a matter of a terminology gap.

There was a paper published I want to say about a year ago (I looked but could not find it) that was somewhat along these lines. I could only get a little way through it because it was technical but the gist was that the paper was exploring what superluminal travel would be like according to GR/SR-type theories; acknowledging that such travel was by all accounts impossible.

I'll edit in the link or respond if I can find it.

Related to Physics beyond the speed of light.

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It is considered to be the fastest possible speed that any object or information can travel.

2. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to travel at or faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object's speed increases, its mass also increases, making it more difficult to accelerate further.

3. What is meant by "physics beyond the speed of light"?

This phrase refers to any scientific theories or concepts that propose a way for objects or information to travel faster than the speed of light. It is a topic of much debate and speculation in the scientific community.

4. Is there any evidence for physics beyond the speed of light?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence to support the idea of physics beyond the speed of light. However, some scientists continue to explore and research different theories that could potentially challenge our understanding of the speed of light and its limitations.

5. What are some proposed theories for physics beyond the speed of light?

Some theories that have been proposed include wormholes, which could potentially allow for faster-than-light travel by creating a shortcut through space-time. Another theory is the concept of tachyons, hypothetical particles that always travel faster than the speed of light. However, these theories are still purely speculative and have not been proven through experimentation.