Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics beyond the speed of light.

1. Apr 24, 2013 #1
    Is there a branch of physics that exist over the speed of light? like a superphysics or hyperphysics?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2013 #2
    that branch is called science fiction

4. Apr 24, 2013 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

+1 on that

5. Apr 24, 2013 #4
    yes, I mean hypothetically. it would all be theoretical, only of interest to drunken mathematicians.

6. Apr 24, 2013 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is venturing into pure speculation, which is against the Rules of this forum. You've already been given an answer to your question, which is whether there is a branch of physics dealing with this.

Zz.

7. Apr 24, 2013 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Asked and answered.

8. Apr 24, 2013 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Drunken mathematicians"?? I resemble that remark!

9. Apr 24, 2013 #8

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

There is no brance of physics for just FTL, because FTL is only known to be possible in Cosmology. (The study of the universe at a large scale) Galaxies beyond a certain distance from us reach recession velocities that are above c due to the metric expansion of space.

I assume this isn't anything like what you were expecting, but this is literally the only case of FTL that we know of.

10. Apr 24, 2013 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Unless...

If Brian is asking about the Hartman Effect involving virtual particles, or Cherenkov radiation resultant of a particle exceeding the phase velocity, but not the individual photonic speed, of light in a medium.
    This might just be a matter of a terminology gap.

11. Apr 24, 2013 #10
    There was a paper published I want to say about a year ago (I looked but could not find it) that was somewhat along these lines. I could only get a little way through it because it was technical but the gist was that the paper was exploring what superluminal travel would be like according to GR/SR-type theories; acknowledging that such travel was by all accounts impossible.

I'll edit in the link or respond if I can find it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook