Are there advanced brain teaser books for physics beyond first-year principles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the value and effectiveness of Jearl Walker's Flying Circus of Physics as a study tool, with the ability to ask thought-provoking questions that test one's understanding and application of elementary physics principles. The conversation also mentions other books in a similar vein, such as "Thinking Physics" by Lewis Carroll Epstein, Keith Kendig's "Sink or Float," and Yakov Perelman's books published by Mir.
RPinPA
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Many years ago in school, we used Jearl Walker's Flying Circus of Physics as a study tool. The physics principles covered are elementary, things you see in first-year physics. And yet he manages to ask questions that really test your understanding of those principles and your confidence in applying them. It's an incredibly powerful teaching tool.

I just checked Amazon and am glad to see this book is still in print. Are there other books in a similar vein that people recommend? That is, deceptively-simple physics questions?

Though this book, as I recall, requires only first-year physics as I said, I wonder if there are similar books of "brain teasers" for more advanced subjects such as relativity, E & M and QM.

Likes Lord Jestocost and Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
"Thinking Physics" by Lewis Carroll Epstein is a great book in a similar vein.

Likes Lord Jestocost, ibkev, Demystifier and 1 other person
Keith Kendig's Sink or Float.

Yakov Perelman's books published by Mir are also similar.

Likes kith
Thanks! Added to the wish list.

1. What is the purpose of "brain teaser" books in physics?

Brain teaser books in physics serve as a fun and interactive way for readers to test their knowledge and critical thinking skills in the subject. They often contain puzzles, riddles, and thought experiments that challenge readers to apply their understanding of physics concepts.

2. Are "brain teaser" books suitable for all levels of physics knowledge?

Yes, there are brain teaser books available for all levels of physics knowledge, from beginner to advanced. Some books may be geared towards specific age groups or levels of education, so it's important to choose one that aligns with your current understanding of physics.

3. Can "brain teaser" books improve my understanding of physics?

Yes, brain teaser books can improve your understanding of physics by encouraging you to think critically and apply your knowledge to solve problems. They can also introduce new concepts and challenge your understanding in a fun and engaging way.

4. Are there any benefits to solving brain teasers in physics?

Yes, solving brain teasers in physics can improve your problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and understanding of physics concepts. It can also be a fun and engaging way to learn and challenge yourself.

5. How can I choose the right "brain teaser" book for me?

When choosing a brain teaser book in physics, consider your current level of knowledge and the level of difficulty you are looking for. You can also read reviews and sample puzzles to get a better idea of the book's content and style. Additionally, consider if you prefer a specific format, such as a physical book or an online resource.