Physics Courses to Complement Electrical Engineering Degree

In summary, the conversation is about a sophomore electrical engineering student who is considering minoring in physics for personal enrichment and professional purposes. They need to take physics I, II, III, and two additional courses, which include mechanics, electromagnetic theory, optics, solid state physics, quantum mechanics, and advanced electromagnetic theory. The student is particularly interested in quantum mechanics and solid state physics, and is wondering how these courses may be useful in their future career as an electrical engineer. The conclusion is that all of these courses would have relevance to an electrical engineer, specifically in fields such as mechatronics, robotics, and nanotechnology.
axmls
I'm a sophomore electrical engineering student, and I'm highly considering minoring in physics. I'm currently in Electricity and Magnetism. The minor is not entirely for professional purposes, though if it helps, then that's great, but it's also something I'd like to do for my own personal enrichment. To obtain a minor, I'll need to take, in addition to physics I and II, physics III (modern physics), and at least two of the following courses:

MECHANICS. Application of scalar and vector fields to problems in classical mechanics and
mechanical waves.
ELECTROMAGNETIC THEORY. Application of scalar and vector fields to problems in
electrostatics, magnetostatics and electromagnetic waves. (Prereq is mechanics, so taking these two would satisfy the requirements)
OPTICS. Interference, diffraction, polarization, lasers.
SOLID STATE PHYSICS. Crystal structure, crystal diffraction, lattice vibrations, electrons
in metals and semiconductors, other physical phenomena in solids.
QUANTUM MECHANICS. Schroedinger Theory applied to simple and multiparticle
systems, perturbation and collision theories.
ADVANCED ELECTROMAGNETIC THEORY. Maxwell’s equations, electromagnetic
waves, and the Special Theory of Relativity (prereq is electromagnetic theory. The would just be an extra course not required for the minor).

I like the idea of taking quantum mechanics, but I'd like to know that it may be applicable to some area of electrical engineering. It's my understanding that solid state physics may be useful for certain areas of electrical engineering, so I'd like some feedback on that. I have no current preferences for areas of electrical engineering. I'd just like some background on if any of these classes would complement my major, and in what areas they'd be useful.

Thanks all

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say all of them would have relevance to an electrical engineer. Consider the current technologies like mechatronics, robotics, or nanotechnology, these courses would give you a leg up in each one.

1. What are some examples of physics courses that would complement an electrical engineering degree?

Some examples of physics courses that would complement an electrical engineering degree include: Electromagnetism, Quantum Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Optics, and Modern Physics.

2. How do these physics courses relate to electrical engineering?

These physics courses provide a strong foundation in fundamental principles and theories that are applicable to various aspects of electrical engineering. For example, Electromagnetism is crucial for understanding the behavior of electrical currents, while Quantum Mechanics is important for understanding the behavior of electrons in electronic devices.

3. Can taking these physics courses enhance my skills as an electrical engineer?

Yes, taking these physics courses can enhance your skills as an electrical engineer by providing a deeper understanding of the theoretical principles behind electrical engineering concepts. This can also help you troubleshoot and problem-solve more effectively in your field.

4. Are these physics courses more theoretical or practical in nature?

It depends on the specific course and instructor. Some physics courses may have a balance of both theoretical and practical components, while others may focus more heavily on one aspect. However, both theoretical and practical knowledge are important for a well-rounded understanding of physics and its applications in electrical engineering.

5. Will taking these physics courses be beneficial for my career as an electrical engineer?

Yes, taking these physics courses can be highly beneficial for your career as an electrical engineer. They can help you stand out in the job market and provide a strong foundation for further specialization in areas such as renewable energy, telecommunications, or microelectronics.