1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Energy - how fast ball is moving from certain height

1. Oct 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You let a ball roll from rest from the top of a ramp sitting on a table. If the top of the ramp is 12 cm above the top of the table, how fast is it moving when it reaches the bottom? Use g=9.8m/s/s

2. Relevant equations

Convert 12 cm to meters an you get .12. Then multiply that by 9.8 m/s.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My answer was 1.176 which was incorrect. I think my equation and solving is wrong but I'm not sure what to change. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2013 #2
    You forgot to show your equation. And why do you thing it applies here.

4. Oct 7, 2013 #3
    I don't know the mass of the ball so I took an educated guess and used the equation v= gh

5. Oct 7, 2013 #4
    What equation is this? Where does it come from? It is dimensionaly inconsistent, for one thing.

What would you do if you knew the mass? What equation will you apply then?

6. Oct 7, 2013 #5
    If I knew the mass I would do mgh as an equation

7. Oct 7, 2013 #6
    Is this your whole question? It does not even give you an angle of the ramp, or the length of the ramp with the height so you could at least calculate the angle. Is there any more information from the question that you left out? Also mgh = gravitational potential energy

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  8. Oct 7, 2013 #7
    No this is all it gives me. Its an intro question to a lab that I am doing... I don't understand it but the lab is on energy.. In the lab it says that "you should be able to use conservation of energy to find speed of ball at the bottom of the incline."

9. Oct 7, 2013 #8
    Ebefore = Eafter so you need to find the equation that sums up all energy.

10. Oct 7, 2013 #9
    Conservation of energy= total energy of an isolated system does not change. So would It be 0?

11. Oct 7, 2013 #10
    just because it doesn't change doesn't mean there is 0 energy.

12. Oct 7, 2013 #11
    I don't know if this is relevant but kinetic energy= 1/2 mv^2

13. Oct 7, 2013 #12
    that is one half of it

14. Oct 7, 2013 #13
    How do I find the energy then?

15. Oct 7, 2013 #14
    Sorry I am just really struggling with this problem. I'm doing this class online through a university and the book I'm using is not very helpful. It's very heavy on concepts and light on math

16. Oct 7, 2013 #15
    If I give you the answer, then it would be like you cheating. But lets just say you had a quarter of the right idea at the beginning. Remember Etot = Etot' and Etot is the total energy in a system

17. Oct 7, 2013 #16
    Is this the correct equation? E total=( mv^ / 2) / mgh

18. Oct 7, 2013 #17
    Can you give me your equation? That's not cheating..

19. Oct 7, 2013 #18
    if i remember correctly from highschool it is Etot = mv^2/2 + mgh

20. Oct 7, 2013 #19
    How do I do this if I don't know the mass?! Do I cancel the masses?

21. Oct 7, 2013 #20
    I basically gave you the answer, from then on it is pretty simple. Just do the math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted