Physics Evening Masters at the University of Washington

In summary: If you're not already familiar with QM and E&M, I would recommend taking those courses before anything else. If you're looking for a rigorous program, it may not be the best choice.
accelerandom
Is it worth doing this type of Masters course? I come from a chemistry background (quit a PhD years ago) and want to do a PhD in physics after a gap of several years working in unrelated fields. I don't feel I have sufficient background in physics to step immediately into a PhD program, and I need to get some academic references as any I might be able to get are too out of date and not physics related.

Here's the course page:
https://sharepoint.washington.edu/phys/grad/EMSP/Pages/default.aspx

I've seen comments that the courses offered are not very rigorous and rather easy compared to PhD track 500-level courses. Is this true? If so, is it a disadvantage? I may be able to do some daytime 400 or 500 level courses as I intend to not be working full time for at least some of the course's duration.

Is there a better way for me to get into physics from a different science background, after a long gap?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm familiar with this very program. I took a few of their classes "for fun" and they were definitely less rigorous than the uppper-division classes (I got my BS in physics from UW). But people who had degrees in other subjects (e.g., engineering, math, etc.) really struggled.

Many of students in the program work at Boeing, so it's a good way to make contacts if you ever want to work there.

It's considered a "terminal Master's" program, meaning it is not intended to prepare you for a PhD program. But possibly it could be what you're looking for - a "bridge" to get to the next step. Have you spoken with any of the profs?

Thanks for the information. Yes, I spoke to some of the professors, and I've sat in on several of the current quarter's electromagnetism classes. It looks interesting and fun and seems like it is the kind of "bridge" I need.

Since you're familiar with the UW physics department, do you have any suggestions of good daytime 400 or 500 level courses I should do? I plan to make use of the option of taking some non-evening courses as credit for this masters.

If you haven't yet had upper-division QM or E&M, I think you should take them if your goal is to be considered for a PhD program. They're "only" 300-level classes, and "only" 3 credits each, but this is a case where the course numbers and credits are entirely deceptive.

Most 400- and 500-level classes build on these two courses anyway.

The "core four" courses that Ph.D. programs generally expect incoming students to have taken as a bare minimum are upper-level classical mechanics, E&M, QM, and thermodynamics / statistical mechanics.

At some schools, thermo and stat mech are in a single combined course, at others they're separate courses.

1. What is the admission process for the Physics Evening Masters program at the University of Washington?

The admission process for the Physics Evening Masters program at the University of Washington involves submitting an online application, official transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and GRE scores. Applicants must have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field and a strong background in mathematics and physics courses.

2. How long does it take to complete the Physics Evening Masters program at the University of Washington?

The program typically takes two to three years to complete on a part-time basis. Students can take up to six years to finish the program, if needed. The length of the program may also depend on the student's chosen area of focus and their course load each quarter.

3. What are the requirements for graduation from the Physics Evening Masters program at the University of Washington?

To graduate from the program, students must complete a minimum of 45 credits, including core courses, elective courses, and a capstone project. They must also maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 and pass a comprehensive exam. Students can choose to complete a thesis or a non-thesis option for their capstone project.

4. Are there any research opportunities available for students in the Physics Evening Masters program at the University of Washington?

Yes, there are research opportunities available for students in the program. Students can work on research projects with faculty members in the physics department or participate in research through external organizations. These opportunities can provide valuable hands-on experience and may also lead to publications or presentations.

5. Can students in the Physics Evening Masters program at the University of Washington also work while completing their degree?

Yes, the program is designed for working professionals, so students are able to work while completing their degree. The evening classes allow for a flexible schedule, and students can choose to take a reduced course load if needed. However, it is recommended that students discuss their work commitments with their academic advisor to ensure they can balance their workload effectively.