What are the effects of earthquake waves on skyscrapers?

In summary, the speaker is a senior high school student who is struggling to come up with a successful experiment for their defense. Their group has been rejected five times and their chances of graduating are low. They are seeking help and have listed potential experiment options. The speaker also suggests an idea for simulating the effects of earthquake waves on skyscrapers. They mention the importance of including computations in the experiment and thank those who are willing to help.
Chipmunk
This is not really an assignment but more of a help, serious help =3

*We were asked to design our own experiment and do it. It's for our defense. Since last month, our proposals were rejected for 5 times now. It's frustrating me since i am the leader and the members, even though they've helped me with the research, started feeling that they're going to fail and they won't graduate. Ya know, we are senior high school students and were to graduate on March and the defense thingy are normally for college. I need help, otherwise, my chances to graduate are low...as in.*

To all that will help, thank you, thank you. I appreciate it, really.

Enough drama, let's move on

Our choices/options to experiment (only 1's needed):
- Energy, Work and Power
- Waves and Vibration
- Light
- Sound
- Newton's Law of Motions
- Vectors

Format
[Topic]
[Experiment Title/Name]
I.*Problem (can only be solved thru experiment. If it can be answered with no experiment, it is auto-reject @.@)
II. Abstract
IV. *Materials/ Apparatus
V. *Procedure
VI. Data and Results
VII. Computations including Error Computations
VIII. Analysis
IX. Conclusion
X. *Application
(Let me handle this)
XI. Recommendation
(Let me handle this)
XII. * Reference

Note: Should include computations otherwise, it's auto-reject.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chipmunk said:
Since last month, our proposals were rejected for 5 times now.

Why were they rejected?

Problems were solvable without performing the experiment.

How about simulating the effects of earthquake waves(transverse and longitudinal)on skyscrapers?You could have an attachment fixed to a board into which you slot rigid wires of different lengths.The board could be set into vibrations by means of a vibration generator fed by a variable frequency power supply.There are loads of variables you could test.Its just a thought.

FAQ: What are the effects of earthquake waves on skyscrapers?

1. What is the purpose of conducting a physics experiment?

The purpose of conducting a physics experiment is to test a hypothesis or theory and to observe and measure the effects of different variables on the outcome of the experiment. It allows scientists to gather data and make new discoveries about the natural world.

2. What are the basic steps of a physics experiment?

The basic steps of a physics experiment include formulating a question or hypothesis, designing the experiment, gathering materials and equipment, conducting the experiment, analyzing and interpreting the data, and drawing conclusions.

3. How do you ensure the accuracy and reliability of a physics experiment?

To ensure the accuracy and reliability of a physics experiment, scientists use precise measurements, control variables, and repeat the experiment multiple times. They also follow the scientific method and use appropriate equipment and techniques.

4. What are the common challenges faced during a physics experiment?

Some common challenges faced during a physics experiment include equipment malfunctions, unexpected results, and difficulty controlling all variables. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect the outcome of an experiment.

5. How can physics experiments benefit society?

Physics experiments can benefit society by providing a better understanding of the natural world, leading to new technologies and innovations that can improve our daily lives. They also contribute to the development of new theories and laws that can advance the field of physics.