Physics GRE in the stead of coursework

In summary, completing self-study and acing the subject test is respectable, but requesting to take the qualifier is often more beneficial.
JoshSmith
My friend – a former TA in astronomy, who's completing her PhD in Astrophysics – suggested to me that graduate programs may be fine with acing the Physics GRE subject test in the stead of posted grades in coursework. I know I'll have to ask the specific graduate programs, but since some of you serve on admissions review boards, I'd figure I'd pose the question here as well. Is this acceptable? In other words, is completing self-study and acing the subject test respectable? Or is it even also possible to request to take the qualifier?

I would, of course, prefer to do the coursework itself. But after spending some time lurking the forums, I've come to realize that certain texts may do me better than the ones I actually get in my coursework. For example, Spivak's Calculus seems to be superior to the books that have been prescribed in my upcoming Calculus courses.

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think many grad schools are going to accept a good physics GRE score in the stead of lots of undergraduate credits in math and physics. My undergraduate transcript shows 27 credit hours of math including Calc I, II, and III, diff. eq., linear algebra, and numerical methods. It also shows 46 hours of physics. A good GRE score might mitigate the absence of a few upper-level physics courses, but it will not mitigate the absence of substantial undergraduate coursework.

Don't even bother to apply to most PhD programs without at least Calc I, II, and III, and without at least 22 credit hours of Physics including a year of calc-based introductory physics, and a semester each of higher level mechanics, E&M, quantum, and statistical mechanics. And this is really a bare minimum that might be offset with a great GRE score if the committee is in a charitable mood or the institution is looking to fill empty spots in the program.

Michael Courtney

I figured about as much, but my friends sowed the seeds of doubt enough to make me wonder. Thanks!

1. What is the purpose of taking the Physics GRE in the stead of coursework?

The Physics GRE is a standardized test designed to assess a student's understanding of fundamental physics concepts and their ability to apply those concepts to solve problems. It is often used as a measure of a student's potential for success in graduate level physics courses.

2. How does the Physics GRE differ from coursework in physics?

The Physics GRE covers a broad range of topics in physics, rather than focusing on specific coursework from a single course or semester. It also includes both multiple-choice and free-response questions, whereas coursework typically involves problem sets and exams with more specific and structured questions.

3. Is it necessary to take the Physics GRE if I have a strong background in physics coursework?

While it is not required to take the Physics GRE, many graduate programs in physics use it as part of their admissions process. A strong performance on the Physics GRE can help demonstrate your proficiency in physics and improve your chances of being accepted into a competitive program.

4. How should I prepare for the Physics GRE in the stead of coursework?

It is important to review a variety of physics topics and practice solving problems similar to those found on the Physics GRE. Many study guides and practice tests are available to help you prepare. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the format and timing of the exam can also be beneficial.

5. Can the Physics GRE be used to fulfill coursework requirements?

In most cases, the Physics GRE cannot be used to fulfill actual coursework requirements for a degree. However, a high score on the exam may allow you to place out of certain required courses or demonstrate proficiency in a specific area of physics.