How Can I Improve My AS Level Physics Skills Over the Holiday?

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with understanding and solving problems in AS Level Physics. The speaker suggests considering the internal resistance of a battery and using Ohm's Law to solve problems involving multiple resistors. They also mention the importance of accounting for the internal resistance of an ammeter in circuit analysis.
khizman
OK I have been Taking AS Level Physics and my teacher isn't very good.
I haven't done well in this test and I need to do the corrections over the half term holiday.
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7987/scannedat2410200518561nu.jpg
I'll be frank OMGWTFBBQ! How on Earth do you do this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I will never understand what BBQ has to do with things like that. Beef, chicken, or pork?

Anyway. It may seem silly, but I would strongly suggest you get into the habit of sketching the circuit in cases like this, even simple ones. Remember, a battery with an internal resistance can be treated as an ideal battery with a resistor in series. That resistance will be added to the total resistance of the actual load circuit. Because of that, you're going to end up in your first problem with two equations in two unknowns - the unknown voltage of the ideal battery and the unknown internal resistance of the battery.

Set it up using Ohm's Law in both cases. You should be able to determine the effective resistance of the two resistors in parallel - add that to R for the battery to get the total resistance of the circuit and Ohm's Law it. It's even easier to get the effective resistance of the two resistors in series - add it (again) to the internal resistance of the battery, use Ohm's Law, and you'll have your two equations. After that, it's just algebra.

For the second problem, I presume your teacher's comments (possibly added to mine) can tell you what you're missing? With the ammeter, again, model it as an ideal ammeter (resistance = 0) in series with a resistance corresponding to the internal resistance of the ammeter. In this case, the problem will be easier because you'll only have one equation, but you'll have to remember to take into account the resistors in parallel, the internal resistances of the cels in the battery, and the internal resistance of the ammeter.

Does that do it?

First of all, don't be discouraged by your teacher's lack of effectiveness. It's important to remember that everyone learns differently and it's possible that your teacher's teaching style may not have worked for you. However, that doesn't mean you can't succeed in physics.

As for the corrections, it's great that you're taking the initiative to do them over the holiday. This shows determination and a strong work ethic. When approaching physics problems, it's important to break them down into smaller, manageable parts. Start by identifying what concepts are being tested in each question and review those concepts. Then, carefully analyze the given information and what is being asked in the question. From there, you can use equations and principles to solve the problem step by step.

If you're still struggling, don't be afraid to seek help from other resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or even a private tutor. Physics can be a challenging subject, but with perseverance and the right resources, you can improve and excel in it. Good luck!

What is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that is caused by the flow of electric charge. It is a fundamental force of nature and is used in many everyday devices and technologies.

How does electricity work?

Electricity works by the movement of electrons through conductive materials. When a circuit is completed, electrons flow from the negative terminal of a battery to the positive terminal, creating a flow of electricity. This flow of electricity is what powers devices and technologies.

What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity is the type of electricity that is used in most homes and buildings. It constantly changes direction and is delivered through power grids. DC (direct current) electricity flows in only one direction and is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a path for electricity to flow. It is made up of electrical components such as wires, batteries, and resistors. When a circuit is complete, electricity can flow through it, powering devices and technologies.

What is Ohm's law?

Ohm's law is a fundamental principle of electricity that states the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.