How Do You Calculate Speeds on a Banked Race Track Without Friction?

In summary, the smallest speed at which cars can move on the track without relying on friction is 371.38 mph, and the largest speed is 457.76 mph.
Miss1nik2
On a banked race track, the smallest circular path on which cars can move has a radius of 111 m, while the largest has a radius of 157 m, as the drawing illustrates. The height of the outer wall is 15.7 m. Find (a) the smallest and (b) the largest speed at which cars can move on this track without relying on friction.

I am having trouble finding an answer because I wasnt given any angles. Please help me in any way that you can. Thank you VERY much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Miss1nik2 said:
On a banked race track, the smallest circular path on which cars can move has a radius of 111 m, while the largest has a radius of 157 m, as the drawing illustrates. The height of the outer wall is 15.7 m. Find (a) the smallest and (b) the largest speed at which cars can move on this track without relying on friction.

I am having trouble finding an answer because I wasnt given any angles. Please help me in any way that you can. Thank you VERY much!
You didn't attach a picture, but I believe that the track is sloped at an angle that has a 15.7m rise over the track width of (157m -111m) = 46m. From that, you should be able to detremine the angle.

Using that information I found the angle to be 18.85 degrees. And I found the answer to part (a) 371.38. But that answer is not correct.

Do you know what I did wrong? Any additional help?? Thank you...

And I found the answer to part (a) 371.38. But that answer is not correct.

Did you remember about the square root?

Miss1nik2 said:
Using that information I found the angle to be 18.85 degrees. And I found the answer to part (a) 371.38. But that answer is not correct.

Do you know what I did wrong? Any additional help?? Thank you...
your angle looks good. I didn't see your work or check out the math on my own, but you may have used the wrong component of net force in the horizontal direction. What did you use, and why?

I used the equation v= sq.rt. r*g*tan (theta)

So, my work for part a is...

sq. rt. (111)(9.8)tan(18.85) = 371.38.

The computer tells me that is the wrong answer...

hage567 said:
Did you remember about the square root?
oh, yeah, should've done the math...take the sq root...

It worked! THANK YOU! I guess I did forget to take the sq rt. Thank you both.

1. What is the first step in solving a physics homework problem?

The first step in solving a physics homework problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. Make sure to identify what is given, what you are being asked to find, and what equations or concepts may be applicable to the problem.

2. How can I make sure my answer is correct?

One way to check your answer is to use the units of measurement. Make sure your final answer has the correct units and that all intermediate steps also have the correct units. Additionally, you can compare your answer to the expected answer or solution provided by the problem.

3. What should I do if I am stuck on a problem?

If you are stuck on a problem, try breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also look for similar examples in your textbook or online to see how the problem was solved. Don't be afraid to ask for help from your teacher or peers.

4. How important is it to show my work?

It is crucial to show your work when solving physics problems. This not only helps you catch any mistakes you may have made, but it also allows your teacher or peers to see your thought process and provide feedback. Showing your work also makes it easier to receive partial credit if you make a mistake.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve physics problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve physics problems. However, it is important to use the correct formula and input the correct values to ensure an accurate answer. Additionally, make sure your calculator is set to the correct units of measurement. It is always a good idea to double-check your answer using a different method or by hand if possible.