1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics in Ontario

1. Aug 13, 2007 #1
    Hello everyone, i'm currently about to enter grade 12 and looking around for a good university to apply to. Does anyone know any good universities for physics around the GTA or somewhere in southern Ontario, so far I've read up on UOIT and it seems alright. I'd love some input from someone with experience. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2007 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

U of T has the best reputation, but York also has a good program. In the GTA, there's also Ryerson. If you're not afraid of venturing west down the 401 a ways, Guelph and Waterloo have good programs.

4. Aug 14, 2007 #3
  5. Aug 15, 2007 #4
    I am currently studying Nuclear science at UOIT. It is good university and although its new and not in the macleans university rating. It is in the top ten in Canada. You should really focus on your studies for grade 12.

If you get above 80% they cannot refuse you. If you choose Nuclear engineering I could give you some pointers

6. Aug 16, 2007 #5

hage567

Homework Helper

Where did you get the info stating it was one of the top ten? Is this for overall rating or in some more specific way like amount of funding for research or something like teacher/student ratio?

7. Aug 16, 2007 #6
    lol i dont know i meant top ten in ontario sry

8. Aug 16, 2007 #7

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know much about UOIT. Last week, I read in the on-line Toronto Star that the administration at The University of Ontario Instititute of Technology is making a move to change its unwieldy name.

9. Aug 16, 2007 #8
    UOIT is also the only University in Canada with an accredited Nuclear Engineering program. Yeay!

10. Aug 16, 2007 #9

bel

The University of Waterloo is good for students thinking about physics in Ontario, an added bonus are the close proximities of the Perimeter Institute and the Institute for Quantum Computing.

11. Aug 19, 2007 #10
    I'm going into my second year this fall at Waterloo for physics and I recommend it, especially if you want a smaller city and campus compared to U of T. Plus, you still have tons of opportunities and course options.

I'll second everything else that people have already said regarding it...

12. Aug 20, 2007 #11
    Are you hoping to live at home?

U of T and Waterloo are obvious places to apply.

In my opinion the University of Guelph also has a very good undergraduate physics program - the department really takes care of the students and I've known a couple bright and balanced individuals who've done their undergrad there.

You might also look at McMaster, particularly if you think you might be interested in medical physics.

13. Aug 20, 2007 #12
    I did my undergrad at UofT. Here's a summary of my experiences:
    It will expose you to the "best" and "top" research.
    It will also eat you up and spit you out if you falter during your four years there. That is to say, it cultivates a Darwinian mentality.
    Smaller schools are way more understanding and the teaching is better. I went to a smaller place for grad school and I was sooooo jealous of the undergrads there.

14. Aug 21, 2007 #13

Dina,
    If you could go back to when chosing the school, with the knowledge of that you have now about university life, would you have chosen the smaller school? Even if might mean sacraficing a bit of the "best research"?

Just curious because it sounded like going to one of the 'Best' universities in Canada just wasnt worth it in the long run.

15. Aug 22, 2007 #14
    Well, it depends on your personality...a lot of factors. If you consider yourself a "go-getter" and you really know what you want, then by all means, go to UofT...That said, I'd be careful with "too-small" schools because it may not be challenging enough and you might not get enough "exposure". I'd go to a school with a "medium" but high-quality department. I don't want to name names...but something like Queen's (though it's hard to get a scholarship here never mind getting in) or Mac, maybe Waterloo. Perhaps Western is good too. Other things to consider are the advantages of choosing a non-commuting school (you know, one where people don't all live at home and ride the subway to class and then go back home after). If you don't have money maybe that's hard...but if you can manage it, even with a loan, I'd say go away to a school where you'll live in residence.

16. Aug 29, 2007 #15
    thanks SO much for all your input it helped greatly!! and by the way, which UofT are you speaking of, which campus exactly?

17. Aug 30, 2007 #16
    I don't know, but I'd say if there is not much going on then there's not much to expose you too. And I'm thinking in the four year undergrad streach.

18. Aug 31, 2007 #17
    St. George (downtown). Sorry I can't say anything about the others !!!
    Cheers!

19. Sep 4, 2007 #18
    Does anyone know the reputation that McMaster university has for their physics program?

20. Sep 4, 2007 #19
    Univ. of Toronto St. George is very well known for their rigorous math programs, and is reputable to have some of the most challenging math courses in undergrad. This also extends to their engineering sector. Wether or not this applies to pure physics I do not know.

As for Mac, I know they are very well known for their health science program for premeds. Other than that, I dont know how well Mac is known for physical sciences.

I think Waterloo is somewhere up there too with its physical sciences, notably chemistry and physics, as well as engineering.

UT is your best bet though, as most courses are notably harder than other Ontario universities.

21. Sep 9, 2007 #20
    i have a question about university, can you apply to any residence on the campus if your accepted to the university?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?