Physics Universities in Ontario | GTA & Southern Ontario

• Thread starter sillydude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, Dina, if you had to choose again, I think you would have to go to a smaller school because the "best research" won't be available at a larger school.
sillydude
Hello everyone, I'm currently about to enter grade 12 and looking around for a good university to apply to. Does anyone know any good universities for physics around the GTA or somewhere in southern Ontario, so far I've read up on UOIT and it seems alright. I'd love some input from someone with experience. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
U of T has the best reputation, but York also has a good program. In the GTA, there's also Ryerson. If you're not afraid of venturing west down the 401 a ways, Guelph and Waterloo have good programs.

Thanks for your input, but there's a new university UOIT, here's the program details: https://connect.uoit.ca/uoit/program.do?from=subject&programID=67

is it alright?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently studying Nuclear science at UOIT. It is good university and although its new and not in the macleans university rating. It is in the top ten in Canada. You should really focus on your studies for grade 12.

If you get above 80% they cannot refuse you. If you choose Nuclear engineering I could give you some pointers

It is in the top ten in Canada.
Where did you get the info stating it was one of the top ten? Is this for overall rating or in some more specific way like amount of funding for research or something like teacher/student ratio?

lol i don't know i meant top ten in ontario sry

NuclearEngineer said:
lol i don't know i meant top ten in ontario sry

I don't know much about UOIT. Last week, I read in the on-line Toronto Star that the administration at The University of Ontario Instititute of Technology is making a move to change its unwieldy name.

UOIT is also the only University in Canada with an accredited Nuclear Engineering program. Yeay!

The University of Waterloo is good for students thinking about physics in Ontario, an added bonus are the close proximities of the Perimeter Institute and the Institute for Quantum Computing.

I'm going into my second year this fall at Waterloo for physics and I recommend it, especially if you want a smaller city and campus compared to U of T. Plus, you still have tons of opportunities and course options.

I'll second everything else that people have already said regarding it...

Are you hoping to live at home?

U of T and Waterloo are obvious places to apply.

In my opinion the University of Guelph also has a very good undergraduate physics program - the department really takes care of the students and I've known a couple bright and balanced individuals who've done their undergrad there.

You might also look at McMaster, particularly if you think you might be interested in medical physics.

I did my undergrad at UofT. Here's a summary of my experiences:
It will expose you to the "best" and "top" research.
It will also eat you up and spit you out if you falter during your four years there. That is to say, it cultivates a Darwinian mentality.
Smaller schools are way more understanding and the teaching is better. I went to a smaller place for grad school and I was sooooo jealous of the undergrads there.

DinaSor said:
I did my undergrad at UofT. Here's a summary of my experiences:
It will expose you to the "best" and "top" research.
It will also eat you up and spit you out if you falter during your four years there. That is to say, it cultivates a Darwinian mentality.
Smaller schools are way more understanding and the teaching is better. I went to a smaller place for grad school and I was sooooo jealous of the undergrads there.

Dina,
If you could go back to when chosing the school, with the knowledge of that you have now about university life, would you have chosen the smaller school? Even if might mean sacraficing a bit of the "best research"?

Just curious because it sounded like going to one of the 'Best' universities in Canada just wasnt worth it in the long run.

Well, it depends on your personality...a lot of factors. If you consider yourself a "go-getter" and you really know what you want, then by all means, go to UofT...That said, I'd be careful with "too-small" schools because it may not be challenging enough and you might not get enough "exposure". I'd go to a school with a "medium" but high-quality department. I don't want to name names...but something like Queen's (though it's hard to get a scholarship here never mind getting in) or Mac, maybe Waterloo. Perhaps Western is good too. Other things to consider are the advantages of choosing a non-commuting school (you know, one where people don't all live at home and ride the subway to class and then go back home after). If you don't have money maybe that's hard...but if you can manage it, even with a loan, I'd say go away to a school where you'll live in residence.

thanks SO much for all your input it helped greatly! and by the way, which UofT are you speaking of, which campus exactly?

I don't know, but I'd say if there is not much going on then there's not much to expose you too. And I'm thinking in the four year undergrad streach.

St. George (downtown). Sorry I can't say anything about the others !
Cheers!

Does anyone know the reputation that McMaster university has for their physics program?

Univ. of Toronto St. George is very well known for their rigorous math programs, and is reputable to have some of the most challenging math courses in undergrad. This also extends to their engineering sector. Wether or not this applies to pure physics I do not know.

As for Mac, I know they are very well known for their health science program for premeds. Other than that, I don't know how well Mac is known for physical sciences.

I think Waterloo is somewhere up there too with its physical sciences, notably chemistry and physics, as well as engineering.

UT is your best bet though, as most courses are notably harder than other Ontario universities.

i have a question about university, can you apply to any residence on the campus if your accepted to the university?

McMaster probably has more of a reputation for it's physics and astro grad program than for the undergrad program. A lot of Waterloo undergrads go to McMaster for grad school.

The department at McMaster does a good job at providing research opportunities for undergrad students - if students do really well at first year physics they are offered summer jobs. It's also my impression that there are a lot of new faculty who are very good teachers. McMaster is very strong in astronomy and condensed matter physics.

The main advantage of Waterloo for an undergraduate student is the excellent co-op program. It's cool to have Perimeter in town, but this doesn't much affect the life of your typical undergrad.

Here's a secret: if you are a physics major, then once you are past first-year all your classes will be small or medium-sized and most of the students will be bright and keen. Look to see if schools offer honours programs or "physics for physicists" courses in first year - that will help make the year more enjoyable.

For physics majors in Canada, the main advantage a large school has over a smaller school is that a large school can offer most courses every year while a smaller school may only offer some upper-year classes in alternating years.

Pick a university in a place you would like to live. If your family situation allows, I would suggest NOT commuting more than 15 or 20 minutes - if you live on or near campus you have more time to study and participate in university life.

U of T has a deserved reputation for grinding students down. But living in Toronto is a huge opportunity in itself and there are many terrific options for clubs and non-physics coursework.

Usually you apply for student housing at the same time as you apply for the university. Try applying for scholarships too - often an offer of housing is included as part of the award.

How about engineering science (physics option) at the U of T?

I'm also looking into undergrad programs in Ontario and was just wondering what you guys have to say about the University of Guelph.

Good teaching professors, not very many research professors, so don't expect to gain a lot of research experience. The people are nice though.

Guelph is a really cool place to live too.

If I was choosing a physics undergrad in Ontario, I would be trying to pick between U of T, Waterloo and Guelph.

What would my chances be if I apply to UofT with a 80-85 avg in Math-Physics, and overall.

sillydude said:
What would my chances be if I apply to UofT with a 80-85 avg in Math-Physics, and overall.

If you apply for physics they are pretty good. Physical science is not as competetive as life science.

Um while many Canadian universities are reputable in Canada, internationally probably only UToronto and McGill can get you anywhere. Maybe Waterloo. Mac for phyics? You're kidding me.

Howers said:
Um while many Canadian universities are reputable in Canada, internationally probably only UToronto and McGill can get you anywhere. Maybe Waterloo. Mac for phyics? You're kidding me.

It's a fallacy that you have to do your undergrad at a top research university in Canada order to get into a good grad school. In my personal experience there is no evidence that attending UT/McGill/UBC increases the probability of being admitted to a desirable graduate program and pursuing a career in physics. If you want further evidence of this, just browse through the CVs of recently hired professors in Canada - they didn't all go to U of T.

1. What are some top universities for studying physics in Ontario?

Some top universities for studying physics in Ontario include the University of Toronto, McMaster University, Western University, and the University of Waterloo.

2. What are the admission requirements for physics programs in Ontario universities?

The admission requirements may vary slightly between universities, but generally, students are required to have completed high school with a strong background in mathematics and science courses. They may also be required to submit standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement.

3. Are there any specialized areas of focus within physics programs in Ontario?

Yes, many universities in Ontario offer specialized areas of focus within their physics programs, such as quantum physics, astrophysics, biophysics, and materials physics. Students can choose to focus on a specific area based on their interests and career goals.

4. Are there opportunities for research and hands-on experience in physics programs in Ontario?

Yes, most universities in Ontario offer opportunities for research and hands-on experience through labs, research projects, and internships. Students can work alongside faculty members and researchers to gain practical skills and experience in the field of physics.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of physics programs in Ontario?

Graduates of physics programs in Ontario have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, including technology, healthcare, energy, and research. They can work as physicists, engineers, data scientists, researchers, and educators, among other roles.