Physics Kinematics Problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity and height of a ball thrown straight upward. The equation y=vt+1/2at^2 is used to represent the height and v=v0t+at for the velocity, with a=-9.8m/s^2. The goal is to prove that when the velocity reaches a factor of α of its initial value, the height is y2=(1-α^2)y. The conversation also touches on using derivatives and plugging in (v1-v0)/t for the acceleration, but correctly notes that t should not be canceled out.
chessismyfort

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown straight upward and rises to a maximum height of y above its launch point. Show that the velocity of the ball has decreased to a factor α of its initial value, when the height is y2 above its launch point is given by y2=(1-α^2)y.
Also SHOW that y2=(1-α^2)y.

Homework Equations

y=vt+1/2at^2, where a=-9.8m/s^2
v1=v0+at (maybe)
y2=(1-α^2)y

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already attempted a solution that involves plugging in y=vt +1/2at^2 and did a bunch of algebra; I was writing so fast I probably did something illegal; one thing i was worried about was plugging in (v1-v0)/t for the acceleration, and canceled out the t^2. I also attempted a solution that involved looking at derivatives of both sides. That is, y2' = ((1-α^2)y)' with respect to t, after plugging in the aforementioned equation of kinematics.

After all the algebra was said and done, I ended up with .5v(final)t+.5v(initial)t=y2, which definitely sounds incorrect to me.
Is there a way to modify the kinematics equation y=vt+1/2at^2 to include y2?

Physics news on Phys.org
chessismyfort said:

Homework Equations

y=vt+1/2at^2, where a=-9.8m/s^2
v1=v0+at (maybe)
y2=(1-α^2)y

Be careful with the notations. If you use y for the height in terms of t denote the maximum height by something else, say ym. Also, vt in the equation for y(t) should be v0t. So the correct form of the first equation is y=v0t+1/2*at^2.
The equation for the velocity as function of time is correct in the form v=v0t + at.

Plug in a=-g for the acceleration and work further with the new equations.

You have to prove that when the velocity is v=αv0 the height is y=ym(1-α^2).

chessismyfort said:
... one thing i was worried about was plugging in (v1-v0)/t for the acceleration, and canceled out the t^2.

That is almost all right! But you cancel out t if you plug in t=(v-v0)/a for t in the first equation. Then you will get the height y in terms of v instead of t.

Can you proceed?

ehild

1. What is kinematics in physics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion, without considering the cause of the motion. It involves concepts such as displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time.

2. What is a kinematics problem?

A kinematics problem is a physics problem that involves using equations and principles of kinematics to solve for unknown variables related to an object's motion. It typically involves analyzing the motion of an object in one, two, or three dimensions.

3. How do you approach a kinematics problem?

To solve a kinematics problem, you need to first identify the given information and the unknown variable that you are trying to solve for. Then, use the appropriate kinematics equations and plug in the known values to solve for the unknown.

4. What are the three main kinematics equations?

The three main kinematics equations are:

1. v = u + at (equation for calculating final velocity)
  2. s = ut + 1/2at^2 (equation for calculating displacement)
  3. v^2 = u^2 + 2as (equation for calculating final velocity using displacement)

5. How do you know if you have solved a kinematics problem correctly?

You can check if you have solved a kinematics problem correctly by ensuring that your answer has the correct units and is within a reasonable range. You can also double-check your calculations and make sure they are accurate.