1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics linear momentum/ average force

1. Sep 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A very hard rubber ball (m = 0.2 kg) is falling vertically at 3 m/s just before it bounces on the floor. The ball rebounds back at essentially the same speed. If the collision with the floor lasts 0.05 s, what is the average force exerted by the floor on the ball?

2. Relevant equations

Net force= change in momentum/ time taken
    Linear momentum= mass x velocity

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the linear momentum of the ball before it hits the ground: .2 kg x 3 m/s= .6
    After this I am lost and am not sure what I do next. I not sure what I need to do in order to find average force from this information.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2013 #2
    Now you have the initial momentum find the final momentum... Then apply the formula for average force...

4. Sep 25, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... Bearing in mind that momentum is a vector, so if you are measuring momentum as positive downwards then after the bounce it will be negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted