Transferring to UCLA for Physics: Advice Needed

In summary: You'll just have to try and make it happen.Don't need ACT or SAT as transfer student, once you hit 60 transfer credits. Which as a physics major, you'll probabaly transfer with 70~80 by the time major prep is done.
Geno
Hello everyone,
My major is Physics and I am a freshman at community college looking to transfer to UCLA after my two years at CC. Is there anything you guys can recommend. Is there any extra studying I should do or any extra things/ideas I can learn about Physics. I think Physics is perfect for me and I enjoy it, and I want to know as much as I can. What I am asking is what should I do to better prepare my self to get into UCLA for Physics even maybe get a scholarship. Also I live in California and I am relatively close to UCLA so that's basically my only option because I am going to be paying for college all my self and I work almost full-time and I really do not want to accumulate any debt will going through with this. So yeah thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Straight As and good letters of recommendation. Figure out how to get involved in research if you can.

Dr. Courtney said:
Straight As and good letters of recommendation. Figure out how to get involved in research if you can.

Don't need any LoR when transferring to UC system from CCC, they won't even look at them. Straight A's aren't nessacary either, but a good GPA is.

To OP, schedule an appointment with counselors and create an education plan. Follow the plan. Do well in plan. That's about all it requires. Make sure your plan enables you to complete all pre-major work on assist.org, IGETC completion also helps.

Also be aware physics at CC is aimed at engineering majors, not physics majors. At a minimum, you should also purchase H&R physics 4th or 5th edition and work through that in lieu of whatever book they're actually using for the course. Ideally, you should finish K&K intro to mechanics and purcell E&M prior to transfer- although this isn't a hard and fast requirement, working through those problem sets will better prepare you for junior courses.

Instead of two years, I reccomend three. You could then load up on math + gen Ed's + gen science courses, and be able to delay E&M until after you've done calc 3 + line algebra. Best time to take it would be with gen diff equations. Don't take it with calc 3, even if that's the coreq, you'd be missing out on too much in my opinion.

Student100 said:
Don't need any LoR when transferring to UC system from CCC, they won't even look at them. Straight A's aren't nessacary either, but a good GPA is.

To OP, schedule an appointment with counselors and create an education plan. Follow the plan. Do well in plan. That's about all it requires. Make sure your plan enables you to complete all pre-major work on assist.org, IGETC completion also helps.

Also be aware physics at CC is aimed at engineering majors, not physics majors. At a minimum, you should also purchase H&R physics 4th or 5th edition and work through that in lieu of whatever book they're actually using for the course. Ideally, you should finish K&K intro to mechanics and purcell E&M prior to transfer- although this isn't a hard and fast requirement, working through those problem sets will better prepare you for junior courses.

Instead of two years, I reccomend three. You could then load up on math + gen Ed's + gen science courses, and be able to delay E&M until after you've done calc 3 + line algebra. Best time to take it would be with gen diff equations. Don't take it with calc 3, even if that's the coreq, you'd be missing out on too much in my opinion.
Thank you so much for the help, should I take another act test, and should I try and get into research? I need to get into UCLA and I would love to try and get a scholarship. This is sort of my only option considering I am almost working full-time and I am paying for college all by my self so this is huge for me.

Geno said:
Thank you so much for the help, should I take another act test, and should I try and get into research? I need to get into UCLA and I would love to try and get a scholarship. This is sort of my only option considering I am almost working full-time and I am paying for college all by my self so this is huge for me.

Don't need ACT or SAT as transfer student, once you hit 60 transfer credits. Which as a physics major, you'll probabaly transfer with 70~80 by the time major prep is done.

You can attempt to do research, but it's hard at CC, and there's no true place to state it on the application anyway. Other than a few short responses at the end of the app.

Get good grades, and really try to learn and remember to self prepare.

1. What are the admission requirements for transferring to UCLA for Physics?

To transfer to UCLA for Physics, you must have completed a minimum of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units with a GPA of 3.2 or higher. You must also have completed the following courses: one year of calculus, one year of introductory physics, and one year of introductory chemistry. Meeting these requirements does not guarantee admission, as admission is competitive and based on space availability.

2. Is there a specific deadline for transferring to UCLA for Physics?

Yes, the deadline to apply for transfer to UCLA for Physics is November 30th for the following fall quarter. It is important to submit all required documents, including transcripts and letters of recommendation, by this deadline to be considered for admission.

3. Are there any recommended courses or extracurricular activities that can strengthen my application?

In addition to completing the required courses, it is recommended to take additional courses in math, physics, and other related fields. Participating in research projects, internships, and science-related clubs or organizations can also demonstrate your passion and dedication for the field of physics.

4. What can I expect from the Physics program at UCLA?

The physics program at UCLA is highly respected and rigorous. You can expect a combination of theoretical and experimental coursework, as well as opportunities for research and hands-on experience. The program also offers a variety of specializations, such as astrophysics, biophysics, and particle physics.

5. Are there any resources or support available for transfer students at UCLA for Physics?

Yes, UCLA offers resources and support specifically for transfer students, including transfer student orientation, academic counseling, and transfer student organizations. Additionally, the Physics department offers tutoring services, study groups, and peer mentoring programs to support students in their academic journey.