Physics n00b Problem - Power Conversion

In summary, power conversion refers to the calculation of power in a circuit using the equation P=IV, where P is power, I is current, and V is voltage. This equation can be converted to V=IR to solve for specific values. In the case of a torch bulb with 3V and 0.5A, the power conversion would be 1.5 Watts. The units for V and I are J/C and C/s respectively, which when multiplied together, give the unit of power, Watts.
Seraph
Power Conversion (Amps & Voltage)

What exactly is Power Conversion in relation to Voltage and Current?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you mean, what's the power in a circuit, then the equation is:

[tex]P=IV[/tex] ,where P is power, I is current, and V is voltage.

Using V=IR, you can convert that to whatever you need.

Well the question I have is as follows:

"A torch bulb has 3V; 0.5A written on the packet.

Calculate the power conversion for the bulb in normal use."

So do I need to use the formula - see I'm unsure with the units. Would the answer therefore be 1.5 something?

Can Anyone Help?

V is measured in J/C, I in C/s, so IV in (J/C)(C/s)=J/s=W or Watts.

k thanks alot

FAQ: Physics n00b Problem - Power Conversion

1. What exactly is "power conversion" in physics?

Power conversion in physics refers to the process of converting one form of energy into another. This can involve converting mechanical energy into electrical energy, or vice versa.

2. What are some common examples of power conversion in everyday life?

Some common examples of power conversion in everyday life include generators, which convert mechanical energy (such as wind or water) into electrical energy, and electric motors, which convert electrical energy into mechanical energy to power appliances and machines.

3. What is the formula for calculating power conversion?

The formula for calculating power conversion is P = W/t, where P represents power, W represents work, and t represents time. This formula is also known as the work-energy theorem.

4. How does power conversion relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

Power conversion is closely related to the first and second laws of thermodynamics. The first law, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed but can only be converted from one form to another. The second law states that in any energy conversion, some energy is lost in the form of heat.

5. What are some real-world applications of power conversion in the field of physics?

Power conversion is used in a wide range of applications in the field of physics, including renewable energy sources like solar panels and wind turbines, as well as in the design of engines and power plants. It is also essential in the development of new technologies, such as electric vehicles and energy storage systems.