Physics of Verne Gun: Launching Vehicle to Escape Velocity

In summary, Brian Wang at Next Big Feature sketched out a scenario where a nuclear pulse would be used to escape velocity. He suggested that a working fluid, specifically hydrogen, would be needed to provide a mechanical coupling between vehicle and detonation. He also mentioned the issue of energy transfer, and how a nuke might be used to heat a volume of hydrogen gas, which would then be allowed to expand and push the payload along a tube. He mentioned that the payload would likely be a 10,000 ton vehicle with a circular base and would be totally filled by either payload or a light, strong volume filling material. He also mentioned that the vehicle would be boosted along a 2 km track, in a vacuum, until the end where a
qraal
A scenario recently sketched out by Brian Wang at "Next Big Feature" is to launch a vehicle to escape velocity via using a nuclear pulse, but enclosed so the fall-out can be contained. I suggested it needed a working fluid, specifically hydrogen, to provide a mechanical coupling between vehicle and nuclear detonation. The original "Orion" nuclear pulse design used multiple small explosions over a long acceleration track up through the atmosphere - thus fallout issues. Brian supposed a large nuke might instead allow a very high acceleration of a payload in a short distance. Obviously it wouldn't be a manned vehicle, since the acceleration would be 10,000-100,000 gees. One problem I saw was the issue of energy transfer, since the original "Orion" used small charges that focussed the plasma from the blast, but interacted very briefly with the ultra-hot plasma, else the pusher plate would be in serious trouble.

So what if a nuke was used to heat a volume of hydrogen gas, which was then allowed to expand and push the payload along a tube, say 2 km long. Basically an updated Verne Moon-Gun. I assumed the vehicle massed 10,000 tons, had a circular base (10 or 20 metres wide), was totally filled by either payload or a light, strong volume filling material. Boosted along a 2 km track, in a vacuum, until the end when a high-speed shutter would open. Final velocity would be roughly 13,500 m/s, allowing for some frictional loss.

I could only make rough guesses as to what gas temperature would be required and I've no idea how efficiently a nuclear detonation's x-ray and neutron flash would transfer heat to the hydrogen, but I assumed a spherical gas reservoir either 100 to 200 metres across, probably under some positive pressure, buried in a mountain. For diatomic hydrogen initially at 300 K I ended up with a temperature of about 4600 K, in order for the expanding gas to do sufficient work to push the payload to the right speed. However I have no idea just how fast the gas would really expand - supersonic? sonic speeds? And how much would dissociate and ionise? How do you work that out? I know the specific energies for each, but not the actual proportions that would obtain.

Any pointers, physics heads?

Physics news on Phys.org
qraal said:
Obviously it wouldn't be a manned vehicle, since the acceleration would be 10,000-100,000 gees.

Well, not after the engines started, that's for sure!

Vanadium 50 said:
Well, not after the engines started, that's for sure!

Well put. Any thoughts on the rest of the details?

1. How does the Verne Gun work?

The Verne Gun is a type of launch vehicle that uses a large cannon to accelerate a projectile to escape velocity, the speed required to break free from the Earth's gravitational pull. The projectile is typically a spacecraft or satellite that is launched into orbit or beyond using the force of the gun's propulsion.

2. What is the physics behind the Verne Gun?

The Verne Gun utilizes the principles of Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy to launch a projectile to escape velocity. The gun uses a large amount of chemical energy to create a high-pressure gas that propels the projectile forward. The projectile's initial acceleration is determined by the force of the gas and the mass of the projectile, while its final velocity is determined by the amount of energy used and the projectile's mass.

3. How is the Verne Gun different from other launch vehicles?

The Verne Gun is different from other launch vehicles, such as rockets, in that it uses a different method of propulsion. While rockets rely on the reaction of burning propellant to create thrust, the Verne Gun uses the force of compressed gas to accelerate the projectile. This makes it a more cost-effective and efficient option for launching smaller payloads into space.

4. What are the advantages of using the Verne Gun?

One of the main advantages of the Verne Gun is its ability to launch payloads at a lower cost compared to traditional rockets. It also has a shorter launch time and requires less infrastructure, making it a more accessible option for smaller space missions. Additionally, the Verne Gun can launch payloads at higher velocities, allowing them to reach farther destinations in space.

5. What are the limitations of the Verne Gun?

While the Verne Gun has many advantages, it also has some limitations. The main limitation is the amount of force that can be generated by the compressed gas, which limits the size and weight of the payload that can be launched. This makes it more suitable for smaller spacecraft and satellites rather than larger payloads. Additionally, the Verne Gun can only launch in a straight line, limiting its flexibility in reaching certain orbits or destinations in space.