Speed of Hydrogen combustion out of a tube?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the escape velocity of hydrogen from a tube or cylinder. The suggestion is to use the ideal gas law to calculate the volume of the hydrogen once combusted and then imagine a sphere with the same volume. The maximum flame speed of hydrogen is found to be 3.06 m/s, and using this, the time it would take to fill the sphere radially is calculated. The rate of combustion and the volume of the cylinder are then used to determine the multiple, which can be multiplied by the length and divided by 1 second to approximate the escape velocity of the gas. However, this calculation is deemed not relevant and the conversation concludes with the question of whether there is an equation that can be used
Jason White
Please post this type of questions in the HW section using the template.
Hello, I was curious about how to calculate how fast the escape velocity of hydrogen out of a tube/cylinder would be. Once end of the cylinder is closed, the other is open, obviously.

Assume the cylinder is full of hydrogen at 1 atm. My thought is that you could use PV=NRT to calculate the volume of the hydrogen once combusted and then imagine a sphere that had that equivalent volume. Online i found that the max flame speed of hydrogen is 3.06 m/s. I think you could start from the center of the sphere and calculate how long it would take to fill that volume if you went out radially at that speed(radius/3.06 m/s). Take the volume and divide it by the time to get the rate.

Once you have that rate, you could take the rate of the combustion (Vol/sec) and divide that by the volume of the cylinder to get the multiple. For example: if the rate of combustion is 1000L/sec and the cylinder is 1 L, then the gas will expand to 1000x the volume of the cylinder in 1 second. By multiplying the length * the multiple(1000) and dividing by 1 second, that would give a decent approximation for the escape velocity of the gas coming out of the tube. Them multiplying that by the mass/sec (flow rate) gives you the thrust.

Does this seem reasonable? Or is there an equation i can use for this.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not for school, just my own curiosity.

I am afraid you are mixing completely irrelevant and independent phenomena and the calculation you did doesn't make any sense.

Related to Speed of Hydrogen combustion out of a tube?

1. What is the speed of hydrogen combustion out of a tube?

The speed of hydrogen combustion out of a tube can vary depending on factors such as the size of the tube, the concentration of hydrogen, and the presence of any obstacles. However, in general, the speed of hydrogen combustion can range from 2-5 meters per second.

2. How does the speed of hydrogen combustion compare to other fuels?

The speed of hydrogen combustion is generally faster than other fuels, such as gasoline and propane. This is due to the fact that hydrogen has a higher energy density and burns more efficiently, resulting in a faster combustion speed.

3. What factors can affect the speed of hydrogen combustion out of a tube?

As mentioned earlier, the size of the tube, hydrogen concentration, and presence of obstacles can affect the speed of hydrogen combustion. Other factors include temperature, pressure, and the presence of any catalysts or inhibitors.

4. Is the speed of hydrogen combustion constant?

No, the speed of hydrogen combustion is not constant. It can vary depending on the aforementioned factors and can also change over time as the conditions inside the tube change.

5. Why is the speed of hydrogen combustion important to study?

Studying the speed of hydrogen combustion is important for several reasons. It can help us understand the behavior of hydrogen as a fuel and how it compares to other fuels. It can also aid in the development of more efficient and safer hydrogen combustion systems.