Physics or Electrical Engineering?

In summary, Lisab has been accepted to Penn State and is unsure of what to do next. She is a science nerd and loves discussing all sorts of topics in depth, which may help her in her career choice. She also has ambition and drive and advises that if you are happy with engineering, go for it, but if you are passionate about physics, you should continue down that path.
Kluge
Hello! Recently I have been accepted at Penn State and I narrowed my choices for a major down to two options (Physics or Electrical Engineering) and for the life of me I don't know what to do or to who to go for advice. I've been visiting Penn State and both of the PhDs there love me so that's no help, and whatever research I do I can't seem to find something that will let me get to an answer. I've always been one of those kids that knows everything about Science, but with this I'm at a loss...

I know that I want to
- Work towards a PhD
- Make a name for myself via Nanotechnology
- Work in DARPA or another R & D group
- To change the world!

Some information that will help with advice
- I am graduating from my vocational school for Electrical Occupations at the top of my class
- I am a science nerd that simply loves everything from Astrophysics to (Err.) Zoology, I can hold an extremely intelligent conversation on a lot of fields of Science, after all knowledge is power.
- I always tried to model myself to be like the greatest of minds, like Albert Einstein, Nikola Tesla, James Clerk Maxwell, Aristotle, Leonardo Da Vinci, and Niccolo Machiavelli Etc.

Any advice will be taken into account, if I can talk to a Electrical Engineer or a Physicist so I can ask them about the pros and cons of each field I would really appreciated it.

Have a nice day!

Physics news on Phys.org
Kluge said:
I know that I want to
- Work towards a PhD
- Make a name for myself via Nanotechnology
- Work in DARPA or another R & D group
- To change the world!

!

Oh being 18 is hilarious.
However, if you successfully created nanites that could be injected into people's blood streams, inductively powered and could destroy cancer cells (effectively curing cancer) you would be lucky to make it into page 3 of most newspapers... right next to Justin Beiber's new haircut.

The real world is going to hit you so hard. It would be easy to feel bad for you given the obviousness of it, but the "extremely intelligent conversation" part had me laughing.

Never mind the troll, Kluge.

Great that you have such ambition and drive!

In my experience, it's easier to market an engineering degree on the job market, compared to a physics degree. If you have a physics degree and you're applying for the same job as an engineer, you're starting at a disadvantage. Most hiring managers know what skills an engineering degree gives - a physics degree, not so much. You'll have to do more work to sell yourself.

My advice would be two-fold.

One, if you can be happy with engineering - do that. But if physics is the true love of your life and you cannot be happy otherwise, then that's what you'll have to do.

Two - good news, you don't have to make this decision right away! Because for the first year or two, engineering and physics follow nearly the same path, and it's usually easy to switch.

Best of luck to you!

Thank you lisab for donating your time! So hard to find helpful people now-a-days. Now you find simpletons who don't even understand the true power of Nanotechnology. They try to hide behind mundane and simplistic ideas that have been thought of years ago and are already being put into practice. (even though it's first Gen.) Oh well like my people say... Herr, lass Hirn vom Himmel regnen!

I have ambition and drive because I remember a wonderful woman said "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”

To be honest, I mainly was wondering what would be more lucrative in today's world and you answer that. I would have asked my Professors, but they didn't want to influence my decision.

Many thanks again and only the best of luck to you too!

I understand your dilemma and it's great that you are seeking advice before making a decision about your major. Both physics and electrical engineering are fascinating fields with many opportunities for research and making a significant impact on the world.

In terms of your goals, both fields can lead to a PhD and a career in nanotechnology. However, they have different approaches and focuses. Physics is more theoretical and focused on understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the universe, while electrical engineering is more applied and focused on designing and developing technology.

If you are interested in working in DARPA or another R&D group, both physics and electrical engineering can lead to those opportunities. However, you may want to consider which field aligns more with your specific interests and strengths. For example, if you are more interested in the theoretical side of nanotechnology, physics may be a better fit for you. If you enjoy hands-on work and designing technology, electrical engineering may be a better fit.

It's great that you have a wide range of interests in science, but it's important to also consider which field you are most passionate about and where you see yourself making the most impact. You mentioned being inspired by great minds such as Einstein and Tesla, and it's important to remember that they were pioneers in their respective fields, but they also had a deep passion and dedication to their work.

My advice would be to talk to professors and professionals in both fields to get a better understanding of the day-to-day work and opportunities available. You could also try taking some introductory courses in both fields to see which one resonates with you more. Remember, you don't have to make a permanent decision now, and it's okay to change your mind or pursue interdisciplinary studies in the future.

In the end, the most important thing is to choose a field that you are truly passionate about and that will keep you motivated and driven towards your goals. I wish you all the best in your decision-making process and in your future endeavors. Have a great day!

FAQ: Physics or Electrical Engineering?

1. What is the difference between physics and electrical engineering?

Physics is a fundamental science that studies the properties and behavior of matter and energy in the universe. It focuses on understanding the fundamental laws that govern the natural world. On the other hand, electrical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It is more focused on designing, developing, and maintaining electrical systems and devices.

2. Can someone pursue a career in both physics and electrical engineering?

Yes, it is possible to have a career in both physics and electrical engineering. Many physicists use their knowledge and skills in electrical engineering to develop new technologies and devices. Similarly, many electrical engineers use fundamental principles of physics in their work. Both fields have a lot of overlap and can complement each other.

3. Which field has better job prospects, physics or electrical engineering?

Both fields have good job prospects, but the demand for electrical engineers is generally higher due to the increasing use of technology in various industries. However, the job market for physicists is also growing, especially in fields such as renewable energy, medical physics, and data science.

4. What skills do I need to excel in physics or electrical engineering?

To excel in physics, you need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematics and scientific principles. For electrical engineering, in addition to these skills, you also need to have a good understanding of circuit analysis, programming, and design principles.

5. What are some common misconceptions about physics and electrical engineering?

One common misconception is that physics and electrical engineering are only for geniuses or highly gifted individuals. In reality, anyone with a passion for these fields and a strong work ethic can excel in them. Another misconception is that these fields are only for men. In recent years, there has been a significant increase in the number of women pursuing careers in physics and electrical engineering.

Back