1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics or Engineering Schools In Ontario?

1. Apr 25, 2006 #1
    Hi, I'm going to be graduating from high school next year and I am trying to decide on a course of study in university. I really want to be an engineer because I love math, science, and technology and seem to be reasonably good with all of the above. I want to get into research in the field of nuclear power, but I certainly don't want to spend the rest of my life working in that field. I want to be able to work in a variety of fields such as vehicle design, electronics, etc.

I live in Ontario, and would like to go to school in the province simply because I don't have the money to live out of province or out of country and go to school. Options I'm considering are Engineering Physics at McMaster, Engineering Science at the University of Toronto, or Nuclear Engineering at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology. I've also considered taking a degree in physics instead. I was wondering if anyone has any comments on these programs and how suitable they might be, as well as any other schools or programs that might work for me.

I just thought I'd mention that I'm especially drawn to McMaster because they have their own nuclear reactor on campus.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2006 #2
    I'm headed into Ontario come September to study myself. Just wondering why you're not considering Waterloo, especially since you're thinking of engineering?
  4. Apr 25, 2006 #3
    I second what Sisyphus said. Check out Waterloo.
  5. Apr 26, 2006 #4
    I took a look at them a while ago but they didn't seem to have many courses relating to nuclear physics, although I've heard they're a great engineering school. I'll have another look at them though.

Thanks for the replies so far, and don't hesitate to add something :)
  6. Apr 26, 2006 #5
    For Nuclear Engineering McMaster CAN'T be beat. They have a nuclear reactor for petes sake. I'm heading there next year for Eng and planning to go into Eng Physics second year.
  7. Apr 30, 2006 #6
    Who else were you considering? Does Mac score points for anything besides their nuclear reactor?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?