Physics or Engineering Schools In Ontario?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a high school student's interest in pursuing engineering in university, specifically in the field of nuclear power. They mentioned their preference for staying in Ontario due to financial constraints and listed a few universities and programs they were considering. Another person joined the conversation and recommended the University of Waterloo as a strong engineering school. The student expressed interest in McMaster due to their nuclear reactor on campus. The conversation also touched upon other factors to consider when choosing a university and program.
illwerral
Hi, I'm going to be graduating from high school next year and I am trying to decide on a course of study in university. I really want to be an engineer because I love math, science, and technology and seem to be reasonably good with all of the above. I want to get into research in the field of nuclear power, but I certainly don't want to spend the rest of my life working in that field. I want to be able to work in a variety of fields such as vehicle design, electronics, etc.

I live in Ontario, and would like to go to school in the province simply because I don't have the money to live out of province or out of country and go to school. Options I'm considering are Engineering Physics at McMaster, Engineering Science at the University of Toronto, or Nuclear Engineering at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology. I've also considered taking a degree in physics instead. I was wondering if anyone has any comments on these programs and how suitable they might be, as well as any other schools or programs that might work for me.

I just thought I'd mention that I'm especially drawn to McMaster because they have their own nuclear reactor on campus.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm headed into Ontario come September to study myself. Just wondering why you're not considering Waterloo, especially since you're thinking of engineering?

I second what Sisyphus said. Check out Waterloo.

I took a look at them a while ago but they didn't seem to have many courses relating to nuclear physics, although I've heard they're a great engineering school. I'll have another look at them though.

Thanks for the replies so far, and don't hesitate to add something :)

For Nuclear Engineering McMaster CAN'T be beat. They have a nuclear reactor for petes sake. I'm heading there next year for Eng and planning to go into Eng Physics second year.

Who else were you considering? Does Mac score points for anything besides their nuclear reactor?

1. What are the top physics or engineering schools in Ontario?

The University of Toronto, University of Waterloo, and McMaster University are consistently ranked as the top three schools for physics and engineering in Ontario by various sources such as Maclean's and QS World University Rankings.

2. What programs do these schools offer in the field of physics and engineering?

These schools offer a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs in physics and engineering, including areas such as aerospace engineering, chemical engineering, civil engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and more. They also offer specialized programs in specific fields such as biomedical engineering and materials science.

3. What are the admission requirements for these schools?

The exact admission requirements may vary depending on the specific program and school, but generally, students are required to have a strong academic background in math and science courses, as well as high grades in their high school or previous university studies. Some schools may also require standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

4. How much does it cost to attend these schools for a physics or engineering degree?

The cost of attending these schools for a physics or engineering degree will vary depending on factors such as your program of choice, residency status, and whether you are an international student. In general, tuition for undergraduate programs can range from $7,000 to $45,000 CAD per year, while graduate programs can cost anywhere from $8,000 to $60,000 CAD per year.

5. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for students pursuing a degree in physics or engineering in Ontario?

Yes, both the schools and external organizations offer various scholarships, bursaries, and financial aid opportunities for students pursuing a degree in physics or engineering in Ontario. These can be merit-based, need-based, or specific to certain demographics or fields of study. It is recommended to research and apply for these opportunities early on in the application process.