Physics PhD in 1 Year: Possible?

In summary: I'd really suggest that you aim for 13 months, because you will need the extra month to work on your Nobel Prize speech.
chrisphd
Do you think it is possible to complete a PhD in theoretical physics in just one year, since no experiments have to be done?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good grief!

Zz.

:rofl:

I'm sure that if you looked hard enough you could find an example of someone who has done this. I had been under the impression that de Broglie's thesis, for example, was exceptionally short and completed in about a year. The idea that electrons could behave as waves became clear to him in 1923, and he was awarded a PhD in 1924. However, if you look into the story, he actually started his PhD studies in 1920.

The reason you're getting the reactions above, is because completing a PhD in a year is highly unlikely. For most people it takes at least that long just to do enough background reading to understand your field and develop a solid grasp of what problems need to be worked on. There's also course work requirements (in North America anyway). Even if you catch on quick and are lucky enough to put forth some ideas that work the first time, you have to write them up and ideally get them published - a process that takes time. I've had papers that have taken almost a year between the initial submission and final publication (although for a thesis defence, it would be acceptable for the papers to simply be accepted for publication).

PhD coursework itself is (generally) 72 credit hours, 12 per semester for 3 years. The 4th year is generally reserved for research and your dissertation.

chrisphd said:
Do you think it is possible to complete a PhD in theoretical physics in just one year, since no experiments have to be done?

I'd really suggest that you aim for 13 months, because you will need the extra month to work on your Nobel Prize speech.

spb said:
PhD coursework itself is (generally) 72 credit hours, 12 per semester for 3 years. The 4th year is generally reserved for research and your dissertation.

The 5th, 6th, and 7th years are also reserved for this purpose.

(Graduating in 4 years is definitely possible and people do it every year... It's just not the way to bet.)

Choppy said:
I'm sure that if you looked hard enough you could find an example of someone who has done this. I had been under the impression that de Broglie's thesis, for example, was exceptionally short and completed in about a year. The idea that electrons could behave as waves became clear to him in 1923, and he was awarded a PhD in 1924. However, if you look into the story, he actually started his PhD studies in 1920.

Szilard was awarded his PhD for work he did during the Christmas break...
Although he had of course spent about a year working on another problem without getting anywhere.

But this is of course completely irrelevant, the system of education we have now is VERY different from what was in place 90 years ago. Remember that even as an undergraduate you spend most of your time studying topics (most notably quantum mechanics) that didn't even exist when de Broglie, Szilard and the others were students.

chrisphd said:

I don't think so.

Lolz is your name stephen wolfram?

TMFKAN64 said:
The 5th, 6th, and 7th years are also reserved for this purpose.

(Graduating in 4 years is definitely possible and people do it every year... It's just not the way to bet.)

It also depends on the country.

In the UK, PhDs are 3 years as standard and are considered to have over-run if it takes 4 years, I've never heard of anyone taking more than 4 full time. PhD funding very rarely passes the 3 year mark here. An EngD will be 4 years.

But, yes, I'm sure the OP has enough information to answer their question.

The difference between theoretical and experimental work isn't what you think it is: experimental does not necessarily mean 'doing experiments' - e.g. someone that analyses data from any real observations will consider themselves an experimentalist despite the fact that they might never leave their computer.

That's because a PhD in the UK requires a Master's first, iirc. In the US, a PhD program doesn't require a master's.

I think that's where the difference comes in.

chrisphd said:

Yes, if you do most of the studying, research and publishing of results before you start the PhD project. Writing up a 200 page PhD thesis based on 10 publications in one year should be doable.

tmfkan64 said:
i'd really suggest that you aim for 13 months, because you will need the extra month to work on your nobel prize speech.

hahahaha!

It's call buying the degree

spb said:

That is going to vary from school to school... for example, here only about half of 72 hours are required.

Is it really necessary to continue bumping this thread? It keeps showing up in my inbox. The topic is very nearly offensive to me. If you are capable of such things, it is not necessary to ask. If you are, I don't think you would be asking here, rather you would be working hard on your thesis.

Last edited:
Jack21222 said:
That's because a PhD in the UK requires a Master's first, iirc. In the US, a PhD program doesn't require a master's.

I think that's where the difference comes in.

Apologies to Phyisab**** for posting once more, I agree that this thread should probably be locked and/or deleted; but just incase someone reads this and is misled:

It is not true that a masters is required for a PhD programme. A 3 year Bsc in england or the 4-year Bsc in Scotland is enough, and, barring exceptional circumstances, both need to be at an upper-second class level (equivalent to a B grade overall).

1. Can a person really earn a Physics PhD in just 1 year?

It is highly unlikely that a person can earn a Physics PhD in just 1 year. A typical PhD program in Physics takes 4-5 years to complete, and even then, many students require additional time to complete their dissertation and defend it.

2. Is it possible to earn a Physics PhD in 1 year through an accelerated program?

While some universities may offer accelerated programs for certain fields, such as business or law, these programs are not typically available for PhD programs in Physics. The rigorous coursework and research required for a PhD in Physics cannot be completed in just 1 year.

3. Are there any exceptions to earning a Physics PhD in 1 year?

In rare cases, a student may be able to complete their PhD in Physics in just 1 year if they have already completed a significant amount of coursework and research prior to entering the program, and are able to complete their dissertation in a timely manner. However, this is not a common occurrence and is not a guaranteed option for all students.

4. Can I earn a Physics PhD in 1 year if I have a Master's degree in a related field?

Having a Master's degree in a related field may be beneficial in terms of prior knowledge and experience, but it does not necessarily shorten the time it takes to earn a PhD in Physics. The requirements and coursework for a PhD program are typically more extensive and specialized than a Master's program.

5. Are there any disadvantages to earning a Physics PhD in 1 year?

Attempting to earn a Physics PhD in just 1 year may have several disadvantages. It may require an extremely heavy workload and may not allow for adequate time for research, which is a crucial aspect of a PhD program. Additionally, it may limit the opportunities for networking and building relationships with faculty and peers, which can be valuable for future career opportunities.