1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics: Power

1. Oct 12, 2004 #1
    A 2.80*10^2 kg piano is being lifted at a steady speed from ground level straight up to an apartment 12.0 m above the ground. The crane that is doing the lifting produces a steady power of 4.00*10^2 W. How much time does it take to lift the piano?

i know that i have to use the equation Time= Work/Power. Power is given. How would I find work? i know that work=F*distance. Would work= 280*9.8*12.0=32928?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2004 #2
    Physics:power

the answer i got 82.3 s. Is that correct?

4. Oct 12, 2004 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just make an energy argument.

How much potential energy does the piano gain by being hoisted up 12 meters? It's just PE = mgh, right?

The crane produces a specific amount of power. Power is work (or energy) per unit time.

Hoisting the piano requires x joules, and the crane can deliver P joules per second. The time it'll take is just x / P.

- Warren

5. Oct 12, 2004 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?