Lifting a 2.80*10^2 kg Piano: How Long Does it Take?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the time it takes to lift a 2.80*10^2 kg piano using a crane with a steady power of 4.00*10^2 W from ground level to an apartment 12.0 m above the ground. The equation Time= Work/Power is used, where power is given and work is calculated using the formula F*distance. The potential energy gained by the piano is also mentioned as PE = mgh. It is determined that the time it takes to lift the piano is x / P, where x is the amount of energy required and P is the power of the crane. The final answer is 82.3 seconds.
shawonna23
A 2.80*10^2 kg piano is being lifted at a steady speed from ground level straight up to an apartment 12.0 m above the ground. The crane that is doing the lifting produces a steady power of 4.00*10^2 W. How much time does it take to lift the piano?

i know that i have to use the equation Time= Work/Power. Power is given. How would I find work? i know that work=F*distance. Would work= 280*9.8*12.0=32928?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics:power

the answer i got 82.3 s. Is that correct?

Just make an energy argument.

How much potential energy does the piano gain by being hoisted up 12 meters? It's just PE = mgh, right?

The crane produces a specific amount of power. Power is work (or energy) per unit time.

Hoisting the piano requires x joules, and the crane can deliver P joules per second. The time it'll take is just x / P.

- Warren

1. How much force is required to lift a 2.80*10^2 kg piano?

The force required to lift an object is directly proportional to its mass and the acceleration due to gravity. In this case, the force required to lift a 2.80*10^2 kg piano would be approximately 2,744 Newtons (N).

2. How long does it take to lift a 2.80*10^2 kg piano?

The time it takes to lift an object depends on the force applied and the distance it needs to be lifted. If we assume a constant force of 2,744 N and a lifting distance of 1 meter, it would take approximately 0.4 seconds to lift a 2.80*10^2 kg piano.

3. What is the acceleration of the piano when it is being lifted?

Since the piano is being lifted with a constant force, it would have a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2, which is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Is it possible for one person to lift a 2.80*10^2 kg piano?

Assuming the average human can exert a force of 500 N, it would not be possible for one person to lift a 2.80*10^2 kg piano on their own. It would require at least 5 people working together to lift the piano.

5. How does the weight of the piano affect the time it takes to lift it?

The weight of an object does not directly affect the time it takes to lift it. However, a heavier object would require a greater force to lift, which would result in a longer lifting time. In this case, a heavier piano would take longer to lift than a lighter one.