Physics Practice test questions

In summary: If molecules were not in random motion then the energy would only be concentrated in a few places and it would be very difficult to create energy. Conservation of energy is a key rule in physics and it states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only change form.
AznBoi

Homework Statement

98_33384066.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

in progress..

66. [tex] \varepsilon = Blv \qquad \varepsilon=\frac{-\Delta\phi_{m}}{\Delta t} \qquad \phi_{m}=BAcos\Theta=\;\pi r^{2}\qquad 4\pi b^{2} [/tex] That's why I chose (e) for 66.

33. I have no idea on this one. I just picked the one that had an atomic number and mass number lower than the beginning nucleus.

38. I tried using mgh=1/2kx^2 . I found (k) first by using F=ma on the mass in equilibrium but ended up with a huge number. Is my method correct?

40. I have no idea how to combine KE with the gravitational force. Please help, Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this statement correct?:
The classical model of an ideal gas:
• The molecules are in random motion.
• The volume of the molecules is negligible com¬pared with the volume occupied by the gas.
• The molecules obey Newton's laws of motion.
• The collisions between molecules are elastic
• The only appreciable forces on the molecules are those that occur during collisions.

AznBoi said:
Is this statement correct?:
The classical model of an ideal gas:
• The molecules are in random motion.
• The volume of the molecules is negligible compared with the volume occupied by the gas.
• The molecules obey Newton's laws of motion.
• The collisions between molecules are elastic
• The only appreciable forces on the molecules are those that occur during collisions.

What do you think? Why would each of the five statements be true or not?

What would be the impact if molecules were not in random motion?

What would be the effect of inelastic collision between molecules?

AznBoi said:
66. [tex] \varepsilon = Blv \qquad \varepsilon=\frac{-\Delta\phi_{m}}{\Delta t} \qquad \phi_{m}=BAcos\Theta=\;\pi r^{2}\qquad 4\pi b^{2} [/tex] That's why I chose (e) for 66.

33. I have no idea on this one. I just picked the one that had an atomic number and mass number lower than the beginning nucleus.

38. I tried using mgh=1/2kx^2 . I found (k) first by using F=ma on the mass in equilibrium but ended up with a huge number. Is my method correct?

40. I have no idea how to combine KE with the gravitational force. Please help, Thanks!

[tex]\varepsilon=\frac{-\Delta\phi_{m}}{\Delta t} [/tex] is correct, but which variable ([itex]B,\,A,\,\theta[/itex]) is changing?

[tex]\phi_{m}=BAcos\Theta=\;\pi r^{2}[/tex] does this equality makes sense?

The magnetic field is confined to a < b, and we now that the inductance in loop of radius b is [itex]\epsilon[/itex], so what of the larger loop?

33. In beta decay, the mass number (A, number of nucleons) remains the same, but the charge of the nucleus (Z) must increase by 1 to (Z+1), because a neutron decays to a proton, electron and anti-neutrino.

38. One can determine the k from the 3 kg mass, which is at (static) equilibrium. F = kx. The 4 kg mass is released, so in addition to its weight, there is a brief acceleration until the spring force exceeds the weight and restores the system. One does apply conservation of energy in this situation.

40. One can use the balance of gravitational force with centripetal force to determine the orbital velocity from which one can determine the kinetic energy.

http://library.thinkquest.org/03oct/02144/basics/orbittal.htm

For a low orbiting satellite, the altitude is much less than the radius of the earth.

See also - Mathematics of Satellite Motion
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/circles/u6l4c.html [Broken]

and also - Lesson 4: Planetary and Satellite Motion
Energy Relationships for Satellites
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/circles/u6l4e.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
What do you think? Why would each of the five statements be true or not?

What would be the impact if molecules were not in random motion?

What would be the effect of inelastic collision between molecules?

I think that they are true because if you heat up an object then the energy gets distributed throughout the entire object and no just a few molecules. If the molecules collided inelastically they would stick together and soon there would be only the random motion of 1 big molecule?

1. What is the purpose of a physics practice test?

A physics practice test is designed to help students test their understanding of key concepts and principles in physics. It allows students to identify their strengths and weaknesses and helps them prepare for actual exams.

2. How should I approach solving physics practice test questions?

When solving physics practice test questions, it is important to read the question carefully and understand what is being asked. Then, analyze the given information and apply relevant formulas and concepts to arrive at the correct answer. It is also important to show all your work and use units consistently.

3. Can physics practice test questions help improve my problem-solving skills?

Yes, practicing physics questions can greatly improve your problem-solving skills. By regularly solving practice questions, you will become more familiar with different types of problems and develop effective strategies for solving them. This will not only help you in physics, but also in other areas that require critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.

4. Are physics practice tests similar to actual exams?

Physics practice tests are designed to simulate the format and difficulty level of actual exams. While they may not have the exact questions that will appear on an exam, they cover the same topics and require similar problem-solving skills. Therefore, regularly practicing with these tests can help you feel more confident and prepared for the actual exam.

5. Can I use physics practice test questions to study for specific topics?

Yes, you can use physics practice test questions to focus on specific topics that you need to improve on. Many practice tests are divided into sections based on different topics, allowing you to target your studying and identify areas that require more attention. This can be especially helpful if you are struggling with a particular concept or formula.