Difficult energy conservation/rotational energy problem

• Thread starter doneky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: Please clarify.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a hanging object with mass m1, a sliding block with mass m2, and a pulley with mass M, inner radius R1, and outer radius R2. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface is given as μk. The pulley turns without friction and the light cord does not stretch or slip. The block has an initial velocity of vi. The relevant equations for solving the problem are listed. The problem involves finding the moment of inertia of the pulley.
doneky

Homework Statement

In the figure below, the hanging object has a mass of m1 = 0.405 kg; the sliding block has a mass of m2 = 0.825 kg; and the pulley is a hollow cylinder with a mass of M = 0.350 kg, an inner radius of R1 = 0.020 0 m, and an outer radius of R2 = 0.030 0 m. Assume the mass of the spokes is negligible. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the horizontal surface isμk = 0.250. The pulley turns without friction on its axle. The light cord does not stretch and does not slip on the pulley. The block has a velocity of vi = 0.820 m/s toward the pulley when it passes a reference point on the table.
10-p-049.gif

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2Iw^2
KE = 1/2mv^2
PE = mgh
Non-conservative work = (delta)KE + (delta)PE

The Attempt at a Solution

The left side has negative work because of friction. On the right side, I put the KE of each as well as the potential energy (ONLY on m1, I believe?)

I think my only problem is the moment of inertia for the two pulleys. I don't understand how to implement the two radii. The answer shows that there is a combination of both. I have no idea why. Parallel axis theorem maybe?

Physics news on Phys.org
doneky said:
I think my only problem is the moment of inertia for the two pulleys.
There is only one pulley. It has a hollow cylinder with inner radius ##R_1## and outer radius ##R_2##. You need to compute its moment of inertia ##I##.

You also have not stated the actual problem, i.e., what you are asked to find, only the setup.

1. What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation is the principle that states energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How does rotational energy relate to energy conservation?

Rotational energy is a type of kinetic energy that is associated with the rotation of an object around its axis. It is an important component of energy conservation, as it is one of the many forms that energy can take within a system.

3. What are some examples of difficult energy conservation/rotational energy problems?

Difficult energy conservation/rotational energy problems can include situations where multiple objects are rotating around each other, such as in planetary motion or in a spinning top. These problems may also involve calculating the change in rotational energy due to external forces, such as friction or air resistance.

4. How can I solve a difficult energy conservation/rotational energy problem?

Solving a difficult energy conservation/rotational energy problem involves applying the laws of conservation of energy and rotational motion, as well as using relevant formulas and equations. It is important to carefully consider all of the forces and energies involved in the problem and to use appropriate units and calculations.

5. Why is understanding energy conservation and rotational energy important?

Understanding energy conservation and rotational energy is important for several reasons. It allows us to accurately predict and explain the behavior of objects in motion, from planets orbiting the sun to the rotation of gears in machinery. It also plays a crucial role in many real-world applications, such as renewable energy technologies and designing efficient systems and machines.