1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult energy conservation/rotational energy problem

1. Apr 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the figure below, the hanging object has a mass of m1 = 0.405 kg; the sliding block has a mass of m2 = 0.825 kg; and the pulley is a hollow cylinder with a mass of M = 0.350 kg, an inner radius of R1 = 0.020 0 m, and an outer radius of R2 = 0.030 0 m. Assume the mass of the spokes is negligible. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the horizontal surface isμk = 0.250. The pulley turns without friction on its axle. The light cord does not stretch and does not slip on the pulley. The block has a velocity of vi = 0.820 m/s toward the pulley when it passes a reference point on the table.
    10-p-049.gif

2. Relevant equations
    KE = 1/2Iw^2
    KE = 1/2mv^2
    PE = mgh
    Non-conservative work = (delta)KE + (delta)PE

3. The attempt at a solution
    The left side has negative work because of friction. On the right side, I put the KE of each as well as the potential energy (ONLY on m1, I believe?)

I think my only problem is the moment of inertia for the two pulleys. I don't understand how to implement the two radii. The answer shows that there is a combination of both. I have no idea why. Parallel axis theorem maybe?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is only one pulley. It has a hollow cylinder with inner radius ##R_1## and outer radius ##R_2##. You need to compute its moment of inertia ##I##.

You also have not stated the actual problem, i.e., what you are asked to find, only the setup.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted